LibrePlanet Boston Desktop GNU/Linux Users Group Message Board › Desktop Linux Users Group

Desktop Linux Users Group

Will R.
user 11531220
Group Organizer
Newton, MA
Hello Desktop Linux Enthusiast,

Thank you for joining the Desktop Linux Users Group! I'm excited that in a few short weeks, we've already attracted 27 members to our group. Ten of you have RSVP'ed for our inaugural event on June 22. I'm looking forward to meeting each of you and sharing tips about Linux on the desktop.

Some news to share...

• We're now part of BLU! BLU is the Boston Linux & Unix User Group and has been meeting actively since 1994. BLU does a fantastic job of covering topics across the broad spectrum of Linux, from technical topics to end-user topics. I'm excited that BLU has invited our group to become a sub-group of theirs. This gives us tremendous support from more experienced users and allows us to coordinate events. As a sub-group, we aim to focus on using Linux on the desktop and attracting new and less technical users to the platform. To learn more about BLU, please visit http://www.blu.org...­.
  • Possible Venue Change.I originally listed the venue as TBD. Most likely the venue will change to a room at MIT, a perk that BLU can avail us of. One advantage of the MIT location is that it's easier to find free street parking, while still being accessible from the Red Line. Please stay tuned as the venue still isn't 100% confirmed.

I'm still looking for someone to demo Unity at our first Meetup. If you have Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity installed on a laptop, and would be interested in demo'ing it for our group, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Will