The Detroit Dachshund Meetup Group Message Board Ideas, Thoughts, Comments, Anything Else... › Denied Entry to Barka Lounge

Denied Entry to Barka Lounge

Burgundy
sharabi
Novi, MI
Post #: 218
This is an email I sent to Wes regarding what happened to us at Barka Lounge today. I'd be interested in hearing if other people were denied and if I'm justified in being a little upset.

Hi Wes,

Just wanted to let you know we were denied entry to the Barka Lounge today. It was not for lack of paperwork on the dogs. No, it was because I had my son with me in his stroller. I really wanted everyone to meet him. However, I have a couple issues with the way we were treated.

The person at the counter was confused and really couldn't tell me what the issue was for denying my son. Was it because he was a baby? Or was it because he was a baby in a stroller? She gave several reasons for her decision.

First, she stated there was not enough room in the playroom. Last time I checked, businesses can't discriminate against 300 lb. people or people in electric wheelchairs. Both of those people take up more space than my son's stroller. I'd like to see her turn them away!

The second issue she seemed concerned with is his age. She stated that she is liable if something were to happen to him. Again, last time I checked, she would be liable if something happened to me, you or anyone in the establishment. A person who is 3 months old, 3 years old or 33 years old, is at risk of getting bitten or falling on dog pee in this type of establishment. She would be liable for anything that happens. In my opinion, the most likely at risk is the 3 year old age group. They are mobile and still learning dog etiquette. An infant is not mobile and an adult hopefully knows dog etiquette. FYI, there was a 3 year old standing in the waiting area as we were denied.

I'm not sure what the real reasons were for turning us away. Like I said, she was not sure herself. But it is in my opinion that we DO NOT promote her business or form a partnership of any kind with Barka Lounge. I don't appreciate the way we were treated.

I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts on this issue. I'm also going to post this email to our meetup website so that they can make the decision to support this establishment. It's really unfortunate. I was looking forward to this "playdate" and would have liked to talk about renting the place for private parties for us. My dogs are tired of being cooped up!

Sincerely,

Burgundy
Francine
user 8482058
Birmingham, MI
Post #: 41
Hi Burgundy, I am so sorry and I understand your disappointment. I would have like to meet your baby also! I think the owner of Barka Lounge was primarily concerned for the welfare of your child. My dog Titus is a registered Therapy Dog and when he started visiting in the Pediatric wards I saw him mouthing on the hand of a one year old child! my dog did not hurt the child in any way but the behavior was undesirable and had to be corrected. I was very vigilant and fortunately Titus never did that again.
Even the sweetest dog can be unpredictable. May be you should try the "Small dogs meet up" at "Sit means Sit" and ask them over the phone if they will OK your participation with your baby in the stroller. I have seen baby in stroller at dog play date before. I hope to meet you, your baby and your dogs soon. Best to you.
Francine
PS: we had a great time at the play date, it was fun to see all the little dachshunds running around again.

Hi Wes,

Just wanted to let you know we were denied entry to the Barka Lounge today. It was not for lack of paperwork on the dogs. No, it was because I had my son with me in his stroller. I really wanted everyone to meet him. However, I have a couple issues with the way we were treated.

The person at the counter was confused and really couldn't tell me what the issue was for denying my son. Was it because he was a baby? Or was it because he was a baby in a stroller? She gave several reasons for her decision.

First, she stated there was not enough room in the playroom. Last time I checked, businesses can't discriminate against 300 lb. people or people in electric wheelchairs. Both of those people take up more space than my son's stroller. I'd like to see her turn them away!

The second issue she seemed concerned with is his age. She stated that she is liable if something were to happen to him. Again, last time I checked, she would be liable if something happened to me, you or anyone in the establishment. A person who is 3 months old, 3 years old or 33 years old, is at risk of getting bitten or falling on dog pee in this type of establishment. She would be liable for anything that happens. In my opinion, the most likely at risk is the 3 year old age group. They are mobile and still learning dog etiquette. An infant is not mobile and an adult hopefully knows dog etiquette. FYI, there was a 3 year old standing in the waiting area as we were denied.

I'm not sure what the real reasons were for turning us away. Like I said, she was not sure herself. But it is in my opinion that we DO NOT promote her business or form a partnership of any kind with Barka Lounge. I don't appreciate the way we were treated.

I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts on this issue. I'm also going to post this email to our meetup website so that they can make the decision to support this establishment. It's really unfortunate. I was looking forward to this "playdate" and would have liked to talk about renting the place for private parties for us. My dogs are tired of being cooped up!

Sincerely,

Burgundy