addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The San Diego Democracy for America Meetup Group Message Board › The Clintons and Dem Money Bags against Dean for DNC

The Clintons and Dem Money Bags against Dean for DNC

A former member
Post #: 4
Greetings All. Great meeting last night......thank you Valerie, Charlie and all the other organizers (sorry I can't remember all their names), and the various presenters. It was by far the most informative meetup I have attended!

Here are two articles related to what we/DFA are about. The first is an excellent post... An Outsiders' Reaction to His First DFA Meetup http://www.dailykos.c...­

The second is very revealing about how the democratic establishment feels about a grassroots DFA emphasis in the party....
http://observer.com/p...­

This article includes a complaint from one of the dem money bags which may need to be addressed by DFA at some point....like..."GET OVER IT!!! You and the other Corporatists who presently run the DNC and DLC are going to have to get used to a Democratic Party actually putting democracy and the rights of the average citizen first, before the rights of corporations and you oligarchs!"

Enjoy the articles.....and Keep up the good work everyone!
carowe3
A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks for posting the link to the New York Observer story. I observe that centrist Democrats are letting the party get its behind kicked by neocons and Republicans. Does anyone think Carl Robes and GW are centrist? Have centrist messages propelled them to power? Heck no! Just the opposite. Why then are Democratic party leaders continuing to let themselves sink in centrist quicksand? I couldn't agree more: they need to get over it and get back to getting progressives in power where they belong. Our country needs us there.
A former member
Post #: 13
Claude,

Thanks for posting the great link....it really captures what has brought many people to the DFA, and kept them there. SD-DFA has also been blessed with a great host (Valerie), who has put together great programs, and consistently achieved a balance between running an open, accomodating meeting, and sticking to schedule. She'll be a tough act to follow.

There is a great account by Ryan Lizza in the current issue of The New Republic about Dean's race for the national DNC chair, and it is in much the same spirit as your post. I believe you can link to it (without registering) by using the following:

http://www.tnr.com/do...­

The bottom line is that a strong, independent DFA is really essential to building a hopeful and committed group of liberals that can reform the Dem. Party. We'll need them around to keep the party honest, and keep it moving in the right direction. This will be a long-term effort.

That's why I'm hoping that SD-DFA will hold off, for now anyway, in voting to becoming a Democratic Club. (Which is what we'll be discussing in our Feb 17 meeting at Joyce Beers Center.) Working within the Dem party is a long-term, difficult proposition, and there are likely to be setbacks--and many bureacratic cul-de-sacs--ahead. If DFA were to be intimately involved with this, it would only sap their energy, independence, and vigor. We were successful state-wide at bringing large numbers of DFA people into the party at the grass-roots level. For now, though, we need the local DFA organization to stay on the outside of the party, keeping the fires stoked, bringing new people into the process, and supplying re-inforcements for those who fall (or burn out).
Jim Wade