The San Diego Democracy for America Meetup Group Message Board › Bear with me - a couple of more worthy causes
|A former member||
Progressive Democrats of America - PDA - just put out this bulletin soliciting aid for three more urgent causes. Please take a look at the article below, and use the links provided if you want to help in any of them.
Tuesday, April 05, 2005
Dear PDA Supporters and Friends:
PDA wants you to know about three important actions that we are engaged in this week. Each of these actions will be much more likely to succeed if we can get your immediate help. It would be even more effective if you are able to get some of your friends and allies to help as well.
1. The U.S. House of Representatives is about to take up the grossly unfair Bankruptcy Bill (HR 685). The bill was written by credit card companies, which made $30 billion in profits in 2004 - but are blinded by greed. Although this bill was passed by the Senate, PDA believes we can help stop it in the House - but we have to move IMMEDIATELY. To find out more about this grassroots effort please visit www.DebtSlavery.org and take action there or at Debt Slavery House Vote. Also, PDA "rapid deployment action teams" will be in the streets Wednesday organizing noontime demonstrations and public awareness actions in front of key Congressional district offices. If you can organize a protest or would like to join one in your state, please contact Sherry Bohlen, PDA National Field Director, at Sherry@PDAmerica.org or 480 529 2131. No one can take your place!
2. On Thursday, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee is planning hearings on the nomination of John Bolton to the position of U.S. Ambassador to the U.N.. PDA is working hard to oppose Bolton's nomination. A person who opposes multilateralism and has a history of actively opposing international cooperation should NOT lead theU.S. mission to the world body. Oppose Bolton for U.N.
3. The Senate will vote on the Iraq War appropriations soon. Please call your Senators and tell them to VOTE NO on the Supplemental Appropriations Bill for Iraq. Tell your Senators that not one more dime should go to waging war in Iraq. We demand the U.S. end the occupation, bring our troops home now, and support Iraqi sovereignty. No Blank Check for Iraq.
Remember, the policies we fight for are in most cases already supported by a majority of Americans. But we will never get them enacted without the seriousness of sacrifice and the inspiration of creative action.
Here are two creative ideas that inspired me this week.
1. Two dozen students at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., recently held a hunger strike that lasted 10 days before they won higher wages for underpaid campus employees. These students were willing to risk their health and their lives for social justice. They shamed those in power. And they inspired those unwilling to follow their example.
2. Over 200 students and 25 faculty members at the University of Missouri in Kansas City are creating a new university called Tent State. They are objecting to the current state of affairs in which the state of Missouri has spent over $2.8 billion on the war on Iraq while cutting spending on higher education by over 25 percent. The money spent on Iraq could have put over 137,000 students through college. Tent State will be demanding an end to war funding and the restoration of spending on higher education: http://tentstate.org...
Working together PDA is building a broad based, grassroots, progressive alliance that will elect progressive candidates and take back the Congress of the United States. Please take action now! With your continued help, we can do it.
Please forward this email to family and friends. Ask them to visit www.pdamerica.org where they can sign on to receive upcoming PDA Weekly Action Updates and PDA Action Alerts directly. Like you, we hope they will discover that PDA is the "real deal."
Director, Progressive Democrats of America