addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Diego Democracy for America Meetup Group Message Board › Running on Empty; Out of Oil, Out of Gas

Running on Empty; Out of Oil, Out of Gas

A former member
Post #: 19
Friends,

The following is a message I wrote to MoveOn.org as part of their solicitation for goals for their organization.

I would urge you to go to:
http://www.actionforu...­

and vote for it if you agree. I would also urge you to write to them with the goals you consider most important.

wink Don Hess

I believe, as a goal, Move-On.org should be developing an intensive national campaign to lobby Congress for auto industry incentives and research grants to develop the commercial viability of hydrogen "fuel-cells" as an alternative source of energy - for transportation, especially, - but for electrical power generation as well.

The only by product of this type of energy production is H2O - water- which is environmentally not only safe, but will contribute to the world's clean water production.

The U.S. presently contains 5% of the world's population, and uses about 26% of its energy. India and China are rapidly developing into heavy oil consumers who will soon compete with the United States on similar percentage levels.

Today, 2/3 of the worlds oil reserves lie in the Middle East. Saudi Arabia alone holds 26%. Forty percent of the world's natural gas lies in the same region. Iran, a definitely unfriendly nation, holds 16% of these.

Right now we are importing oil from Russia, Venezuela, and can import oil from Norway, Canada and Mexico. But they are running out as well, with natural gas soon to follow. Natural gas is extremely expensive to transport.

The global production of "cheap" (if you consider today's prices that) crude oil is predicted by new exploration models to peak somewhere in the next 5 to 15 years. After that prices will go nowhere but up as supply goes down. And natural gas production will decline as well a few years later.

With the middle east in turmoil, and the outcomes of "democracies" there at best uncertain as to whether they will be won by Islamic fundamentalists who might extract a political price as well as an increased economic price, it is time that we begin SERIOUSLY thinking about alternative energy sources.

Nuclear power creates dirty waste; wind, solar and geothermal power are not adaptable to transportation, and coal, and oil shale will produce energy only at a heavy cost to the environment.

The answer, I believe, outside of conservation efforts, is to wage a heavy nationwide campaign to encourage conversion of our future energy source to hydrogen "fuel cells" similar to those used in NASA's space shuttle program.

Honda has produced a fuel-cell-powered car called the FCX. It is capable of freeway speeds, has a range of 160 miles, and is approved by the EPA. My hometown, Chula Vista, has purchased one, and is evaluating it for performance.

I urge you to vote for this goal. If we don't urge our Congress to develop incentives for the oil companies, and appropriate money for research for it, we risk being at the mercy of a part of the world that despises us, and in competion with the rest for the scarce oil we have left.

My statistics come from a book called the Hydrogen Generation by Jeremy Rifkin. Any mistakes in them are mine.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hello,
I wonder how many people are aware that oil is in so much more than gasoline. Petrochemicals are the basis for plastics of every sort: packaging materials, toys, synthetic fabrics, the plastic in our cars, etc. Our dependence on oil goes so much deeper than what we put in our gas tanks.

It's in many corporations' interests that we continue consuming these products. Even our Administration is but a thinly veiled oil corporation wielding worldwide power to be sure our hunger for petroleum-based products continues to grow and line their pockets with gold.

I wholeheartedly agree that we need to find alternatives to petroleum.

Thank you.
Kathy H.