The San Diego Democracy for America Meetup Group Message Board › Bersin to become education secretary

Bersin to become education secretary

A former member
Post #: 3
According to the L.A. Times, Governor Schwarzenegger is going to name Alan Bersin as the state's education secretary TODAY. This man tried to destroy the San Diego School System under the guise of raising test scores, bullying parents and teachers, removing music and the arts from the curriculum as if they were equivalent to a trip to Baskin Robbins, and selling off public land. Our John Bolton of education did such a horrible job that the new school board is firing him. This is a confrontational appointment meant to insult the parents and teachers across this state. Even though this position is not as powerful as that of the elected State School Board Superintendent, I'm sure Bersin will do his best to further undermine education in California from this pulpit. Schwarzenegger's attacks on California's school system--such as calling educators special interests--are all a part of the conservative Republican agenda to privatize public education. They wrap this effort in the framing of "merit pay" and "accountability" and use No Child Left Behind to accomplish it. DFA should jump all over this issue. I just sent an email to the Governor's office at: www.govmail.ca.gov. I am going to call his district office here in San Diego this morning at: (619) 525-4641.

Here's the link: http://www.latimes.co...­

Here's my email:

"Dear Governor Schwarzenegger:
I am shocked to read that you are going to appoint Alan Bersin as California's education secretary. This man destroyed our school system here in San Diego, sold off public lands, and treated parents and teachers like they didn't exist. He will make a disaster out of all of California's schools now. This is a confrontational appointment designed to insult the parents and educators of this state. As the parent of a child entering kindergarten next year, I take this personally. Please reconsider this appointment and find someone less likely to be a lightening rod for the organizing energies of the voting parents and educators in California."
A former member
Post #: 97
Thanks for the heads up; unfortunately, Ahnold doesn' really care what the 'people' think even though he uses the ploy in his speeches.
Probably be more effective to write his wife; maybe she'll cut him off again until he backs off such actions. But given his past, he's more likely to sexually harass some woman.....oh, hey, that might work out ok this time around, given that the media and Attorney General don't seem to want to pursue past allegations. But I'd rather he just changed his mind(or whatever one wants to call his version of consciousness).devilish
A former member
Post #: 4
All Schwarzenegger has is his popularity, which has plunged to 40%!!! The percentage of people who think he's doing a poor job has risen to 50%!

Here's the link: http://www.latimes.co...­

How bad were Gray Davis's ratings when he got recalled? This politician is now vulnerable. I called his local office at (619) 525-4641 and told them how shocked I was to hear that Bersin was being nominated, how insulting it was, how Bersin was a disaster. They were way more interested in where I had heard about this (L.A. Times and the Stacy Taylor Show) than anything else. But they listened. Schwarzenegger's education policy is a real magnet for organizing around throughout the state. What percentage of voters are parents, educators, or students? Does anybody know if the State Legislature has veto power over any of the Governor's nominations? Just looking for an excuse to call my Republican State Assemblyman Steve Plescia.
Miriam R.
writerink
La Mesa, CA
Post #: 11
Parents -- If you belong to a PTA, or have e-mail addresses of other parents regardless of their parties, please send this information about Bersin to all of them. Especially urge anyone who voted for Schwarzenegger to let his office know that they strongly oppose this nomination.

We should also call legislators and urge them not to confirm this idiotic appointment.

Does anyone have time to design a flyer ASAP? If so, send it to me at writerink@cox.net and I'll distribute it on the DefeatArnold discussion group I belong to, which has activists statewide. No doubt folks in other parts of the state will be very interested to hear what Mr. Bersin has been up to here in San Diego -- and what his real agenda appears to be.

We should pass flyers out in front of public schools.
If you belong to a PTA or have access to e-mails of other parents, send them this info ASAP. Post notices on faculty bulletin boards, comunity center bulletin boards, etc.

Also, please write letters to the editors of the community newspaper in your neighborhood.

Call in to local talk radio shows--and not just the progressive ones. Be clever to get past the screeners on conservative talk shows. Say "Hi, I really want to talk about Arnold's support for education in California," for instance, then when you get on the air, blast his total lack of support for California's students, parents and teachers.
If you're a Republican or you voted for Arnold, mention that, too. Or leave Arnold's name out completely. Say you're really concerned about what's being taught in the public schools nowadays -- and what gets left out of curriculums. Or you have some thoughts on school funding and how are tax dollars are being misspent by educators. Then give those conservative listeners an earful in the first 60 seconds, before they can cut you off!

Please help spread the word--

Miriam Raftery
Media Committee Chair
writerink@cox.net
A former member
Post #: 12
Bersin was sent here from New York to destroy our schools. He is "supposed" to be a democrat. That is why we must be very careful now as "they" are crossing party lines to attempt to confuse us.

Arnold's choosing Bersin shows us the ugly trail they both are attempting to forge. Bersin is a big part of their overall scheme.

I talked to all the teachers I could urging them to discontinue taking the SD Union.

For any of you who think the way I do on this issue, please stop your subscription to the SD Union and tell them why you are unsubscribing.

Can you imagine how this small protest for each of us individually, could impact a business?????
How many teachers are there?
How many democrats are there?
How many progressives, independents and disgruntled republicans, are there?

Just imagine what 100,000+ subscribers could do to the SDU....

The SDU needs subscribers in order to guarantee their advertisers that so many subscribers will be reading their ads.
Pull the plug on that pipeline.

Why support any business that is diametrically opposed to your benefit as a worker???????????

Contact teachers who will listen to you; unsubscribe yourself.

I haven't taken the SDU for a very long time; you can get your news on the computer where there is activism attached to the messages to do something, not just read about it.

devilish