The San Diego Democracy for America Meetup Group Message Board › Speaking One on One

Speaking One on One

A former member
Post #: 14
Hi,
I would like to know if there are others like me who speak to strangers about the affairs of the nation and where we are headed and/or any specific issues of the day. I do this in the course of running errands.
Please reply if you do. Thankslaughing
A former member
Post #: 103
Hi Margaret; yes, I do. What fascinates me is that most of the people I speak to concur with my thoughts....but then don't do anything.
This gets back to my point about the almost 40% of possible voters that either aren't registered or are registered and don't vote.
And that leads to the analysis done on the 18-24 age group that voted in the last election. Yes, more came and voted than ever before BUT it was those who could be called the 'well off' in that age group (and mostly white).
The system is setup to discourage voting by those that are poor or non-caucasian. Just look at Florida and Georgia and Ohio.
Anyway, I hope you get more than just my response.
Brucedevilish
A former member
Post #: 15
Hi Bruce,
Thanks for replying. Please let me know more of what you say to them. Maybe I can add to my list of information items.

I give them specifics on looking up info on the internet and make points specific/relevant to them.

On Sat I was at KMart and I talked to a woman who cannot get her husband's pension even though he worked for over 40 years as a meat wrapper. I cd sympatheize because I am friends with the "last meat cutter" for Ralph's and I have seen the hell she has gone thru in the last 15 years. I talked to her about Arnold's gameplan; this was of interest to her because her daughter is studying at SDSU to become a teacher. I encouraged her to come to DFA because she is having trouble getting soc sec, also. I thought maybe she could find others there that might have some of the same problems she is facing.

Went next to buy a microwave and talked to a young fellow about the recruitment in high schools; he wants to enlist; his parents he said, "want to break his legs." to keep him from going. We spoke for a long while and I told him about several websites and about our DFA. He has some retired military buddies and they have said they want to go with him before he signs any final papers because they know recruiters are hard pressed now and will promise more than they can deliver. One ploy they have now is that of the "buddy system for boot camp."
He could go thru with 3 buddies guaranteed (?)
Talked to another lady at Vons that I thought was signing Arnold's petition; she wasn't; doesn't like him as her daughter is a sub teacher, however, she knew nothing about the Arnold petition.
The petition gatherer said Arnold is pulling back and is going to "rewrite" his petition, although my teacher neighbor said she thought A had enough signatures for the special election.

I always have the boxboys help me out with groceries so I can talk to them. Met a nice fellow this same day; a musician; 17, said recruiters are all over the high schools;
I told him that Canada is closed to objectors by a recent agreement with US; that he needed to plan ahead how to "escape" what may be a coming draft as he said, "who would want to go to war?"

Most people I am speaking with now are "uneasy". Even if they don't know specifics, they know something is not quite right about the direction in which the US is going. Many don't know what we know. I find them very interested, very agreeable and very open.
I ask if they have a pc. Then I say type in "republicans against Bush; there are 2,500,000 as I want them to be aware that many in his party do not agree with his plans. Or if they type in the phrase "anti Bush websites" they will find many.

I write down websites on a piece of paper to give them. And I tell them about Air America.
I leave them with the thoughts that Bush has been good in a way because people have not been thinking about voting and being involved and Bush changed all that. And I always try to let them know how important politics is to their life. I tell them our very biggest problem is the voting machines; they have to be changed.

Sometimes I promise myself I am not going to stop and interact with people, but there are days when I feel people are "just in my path". I bet you feel the same.

One other: I was continually dropping comments to a couple of bank tellers. One of them told the bank manager. The bank manager then had an early morning meeting and told all of those present. Who knows where and how far our messages go? I am a great believer in the power of the grassroots when they are informed.cool
A former member
Post #: 104
Hi Margaret; more power to you;don't stop; kinda ironic to see Carol post a discussion about 'community outreach'; I'd say you and I do it all the time; interesting that only you and I posted to the question you asked.
Anyway...where did you get this information?: "I told him that Canada is closed to objectors by a recent agreement with US." Please let me know where the documentation on this agreement can be located.

You wrote:"And I tell them about Air America. " Hmmmm......all I've heard from Janeane Garofola and Al Franken is objections and name calling when someone brings up pulling our troops out of Iraq.
All this talk of 'disaster,bloodshed' seems indicative of forgetting that at least 618,000 Americans died in our Civil War. Granted,no one wants more bloodshed, but staying there certainly isn't reducing bloodshed...AND if 135,000+ plus troops and corruption can't bring 'security' to Iraq, why does anyone think an 'Iraqi' army and police will?

You wrote:"Who knows where and how far our messages go?"; yes, on reflection, I've always had a talent for throwing pebbles into the stream of life.

Bruce

devilish