add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The San Diego Democracy for America Meetup Group Message Board › Crop: Community Outreach to People

Crop: Community Outreach to People

Carol C.
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 13
Good Morning! Hope this finds you enjoying the weekend (especially Moms!). I am writing to ask for your consideration in sponsoring me to raise funds to stop hunger in the "CROP" (Communities Reaching Out to People) Walk on May 15th in Carlsbad.

I'm joining several other walkers from North San Diego DFA as our "National Day of Action" DFA Corps project to support this local fundraiser, which is part of a nationwide CROP Walk network (2,000 communities) to support self-help development, meet emergency needs and address the root causes of poverty and powerlessness. Over $4 million is shared by CROP Walks each year with local food banks, pantries and community gardens. As examples of what your donation can do:

$ 935 = the cost of a building kit -- wooden beams, window frames, lintels, doors, nails, plastic, cement and other materials -- for a family rebuilding their home in the wake of war.

$ 100 = the cost of a shovel, pick, wheelbarrow and 100 kg of bean seads for a peasant farmer.

$ 20 = the cost of a basic beehive for beekeeping (which helps farmers as well as provides a "cash crop" in honey).

CROP Walks are organized by Church World Service, a cooperative ministry of 36 Protestant, Orthodox and Anglican denominations, providing sustainable self-help and development, disaster relief and refugee assistance in more than 80 countries. (I was impressed to see the American Friends Service Committee represented, which has provided such important leadership on so many peace and social justice fronts -- including the recent "Eyes Wide Open" exhibit about the Iraq War.)

I appreciate your consideration of my request. For more information, please see Northwest San Diego County CROP WALK - Sunday, May 15, 2005 - General Donation

Martha Sullivan, Communications Chair/North San Diego DFA
Political Action Director/North County Unity
Steering Committee/California for Democracy

"When you trade your values for the hope of winning, you end up losing and having no values--so you keep losing."
Howard Dean from "You Have The Power"
A former member
Post #: 35
I appreciate Carol's posting my request for sponsors of our North San Diego DFA's "Day of Action" activity for DFA Corps this month. The weblink to go to for more information and to make an on-line donation as a sponsor is:

Thank you for your consideration!

Martha Sullivan