The San Diego Democracy for America Meetup Group Message Board › Stand Up Do Something

Stand Up Do Something

A former member
Hello,

My name is Christopher Stanley. I am sure that in the past few days, like myself, you have been glued to TV because of the gay rights issues we are having of gay marriage. Let me start by saying that I am a 20 year old male, Originally from San Diego, when I was 14 years of age I use to attend a common ground meeting ( youth group) at the center when it was on Normal Street, Since then, I have pulled away from what I thought was my home (the gay community). In the past I have been to many political rallies and fought for many different things in OC for human rights.

The Purpose of this e-mail:

In the past few weeks I have been conducting research on Non-Profit organizations that support youth in the fight for their rights as Gay Americans. To my finding, I was very dissatisfied. I am finding more then dozens of groups, from on-line to gay community centers. What I am having trouble finding is Youth Organizations ( 16-21 ) that target Politically charged issues. When I say this I am fully aware, like most youth directors that hold any weekly meeting, things of the political nature are brought up, and discussed as an open forum. Is anything done besides writing a letter ?

The Reason:

On another note I have spent about 4 days on my off time conducting research on Local Corporations, Local companies, And I am finding some information that would not sit right with any gay youth, and things that are not just happening locally but nationally that would not sit right with any human being, in other information I have found is that most gay youth ages 18-24, are not registered to vote or don't care to exercise that right because they are not aware of the political issues that are taking place now that could possibly create a huge oppression. Now what I am upset over is the fact that this is all information that is fully available, but no one has yet shoved it the youth face of san Diego and say,"Hey, if you don't get up and do something we are not going to have rights by the time we are 30, this is a ugly war that has been started all because are so called leader is trying to gain the Conservative vote, its nauseating."

What I want to do.

The real reason for my e-mail, Like I said I am putting together a group called DO SOMETHING, and the motto is GET UP AND DO SOMETHING, what I am trying to do Is create outreach to youth targeted at gays, lesbians, the whole youth community 16-24, to attack political charged issues for this November's election, create common ground where people can express their political views, put their words in to action, and at the same time encourage people who are eligible to vote to exercise that right and educated them on facts, not opinions. I was on AOL last night and I spoke to 98 different males/females in San Diego chats, between the ages of 18-26 and out of 107 people I asked if they where registered to vote, only 4 where registered voters. In public, I have approached people, At the mall, people around my age, out of 22 people that I asked only 7 where registered to vote, at Ralph's, out of all places on University Ave. I asked 12 people, 2 of them are registered to vote. Something is wrong with this picture.)

Where do I start?

I have the means and the heart to start this, but first I wanted someone's advice and someone else's point of view, I have good Ideas of where to get most of my resources, and a lot of people to support me, but its always nice to have a helping hand to fight for something that should bring the youth community closer together, Please if you have any ideas, thoughts, pointers on where to start, where my good options of resources are. Please let me know, or if you could direct me to someone who could help me I would be most grateful.

Thank you so much for your time

Sincerely

Christopher R. Stanley

619-602-8964

CrStanley@cox.net
A former member
Dear Christopher,
MORITO
July 28,2004

I understand your frustration. This weekend in San diego there will be more than 100,00 gays, lesbian, and transgendered participants in the Pride Parade and Festival! How many are registered and intend on voting in the most cucial election of our generation? Probably very few! Though I and my partner who will attend the meetup on Aug. 4th at Giovanni's are older than you, 12 years ago, when we met and fell in love we were fweeling just as helpless as you must feel now.
Politics is almost a verbotten subject in most gay cicles, and I imagine that among youthful gays, even more so. It's a sad fact of life that only tragic or cathartic moments can inspire activism. Guess we haven't had ours yet, though the AIDS crisis in the 80's was close. But please don't give up hope! Even in San Diego, where fun in the sun or in the sack is all that matters to most gays and lesbians there are those who will make a difference - and you could be that one. Cheers, Dave and Toshi
A former member
This is a late comment, but we just ran across your post. We are active members of the DFA Meetup now at Giovanni's. And we marched in the Pride Parade with Congresswoman Susan Davis, who is very popular in the LGBT community.

Rather than yet another organization, have you investigated the San Diego Democratic Club? They would probably take issue with the idea that LGBT folks are not into politics.

Margaret & Mike Lawrence