The San Diego Democracy for America Meetup Group Message Board › Tuesday's meetup: let's stop navel-gazing & get to work

Tuesday's meetup: let's stop navel-gazing & get to work

A former member
Post #: 50
First for Frank; you wrote:"In short we are meeting to exchange ideas, For what purpose?"
I think this next meeting is to let poeple know what they can do to particpate in efforts by other organizations to combat voter fraud and discrimination. Why they don't already know about these organizations and are participating I can't answer as such seems 'natural' to me.
But as towards 'purpose' that is why I brought up the idea of a 'purpose' being changing the City Charter regarding elections.
And I'll probably be speaking about somnething I'm involved with and that is a Constitutional Amendment to guarantee the right to vote for all citizens,not just legislatures and 'electors'; see reclaimdemocracy.org.
Second for Jim; you wrote:"I would also refer you to the national DFA home page, and their four stated goals."
The '4 stated goals' you are referring to are what Gov. Dean posted when he stepped out of the Presidential race and in none of the four does he state that the goal is strictly focused on the Democratic Party. And if your read the 'about' on the Home page at the top, you will see that the focus is on the candidate and the candidates positions and how the candidate campaigns.Specifically "Democracy for America (DFA) is a political action committee dedicated to supporting fiscally responsible, socially progressive candidates at all levels of government—from school board to the presidency. DFA fights against the influence of the far right-wing and their radical, divisive policies and the selfish special interests that for too long have dominated our politics."
It is only the second paragraph that reference rebuilding the Democratic Party and it is a 'LONG TERM goal'.
So I'll stand by my ideas very comfortably. And it doesn't appear as though you read 'It's the White Vote,Stupid' and came up with a plan to address what is being called the retro states.
Jim, you also wrote:"Please refer to my posting above in response to Frank, and particularly to the non-issue of voter fraud."
I don't give a damn if you don't want to cry over spilt milk BUT even if your desire to rebuild the Democratic Party is successful, if the elections are rigged it won't do you one bit of good. And that is what this next meetup is about,not crying over the fraud and discrimination that occurred.
You also wrote:"Lastly, I do not think the seeds of fascism have been planted; rather, we see that the rotting fruits of Democratic incompetence have sprouted. And Wellstone, bless his soul, died solely from pilot error."
The seeds of Fascism were planted long ago in this country and never fully bloomed but they are like bulbs; they come back and now have sprouted and are growing. Please show me how the U.S. is not reflective of Mussolini's " "Fascism is the convergence of corporations and the state." Remember Huey Long's "When Fascism comes to America, it will be draped in the American flag." ?
As towards Wellstone,check out:
http://www.knauradio....­

for one source regarding 'pilot error'.
As Bill Maher said "Be More Cynical".
A former member
Post #: 2
Since election and voting issues are part of the discussion, here's a fantastic article by Thom Hartmann: http://www.commondrea...­
A former member
Post #: 52
Thanks for the link; it is amazing to me that the ongoing argument for cohesiveness in the Democratic party keeps being raised without much effect.
This is an issue I was reading about LAST year and the thought was that with groups like ACT and Move-On would give the extra effort effect that the Democrats seemingly lacked.
The Ukraine protests were mentioned at last nights meetup and basically dismissed as something we can't do in this country by one of the 'success story's' of this particular meetup.
A different setting and I would have challenged her on that idea.....but there is a real difference here in this country and it affects Thom's perspective. One real difference is that there is not a 'powerful'country interested in being seen as interfering with our 'internal affairs'. Another is the the Corporate/State marriage by which we all suffer. An example is that but 6 companies own practically ALL mass media. To overcoming the disinformation and true lack of information (in case you wonder, watch CNN's coverage of Iraq and then view the coverage provided Europe by CNN International; same company,etc..
To the end of changing this part of the equation I invite you to take advantage of this:
Dear Media Reformer,

We get calls all the time from activists and concerned citizens around the country who understand the crisis in our media system and come to us with the question: "What can I do?" People ask about how to spread the word about media reform and who in government they should call to speak their mind.

To help, we've compiled a Media Reform Activist Toolkit that provides information, ideas, and resources for taking concrete actions for media reform. These are ways to put your knowledge and energy to work.

We'll mail you a toolkit free of charge—as long as you promise to use it!

Click here to order your free toolkit today.
http://www.freepress....­

The Toolkit includes:

Media Policy 101 booklet
Media Reform Action Guide booklet
"10 Things Big Media Don't Want You to Know" brochure
"10 Questions about Media to Ask Every Candidate and Elected Official" brochure
Static-cling media reform 'Warning' stickers for newspaper boxes, TVs, radios, bus stop ads and wherever your imagination takes you
Bonus: The first 5,000 orders include a copy of our Mobilizing Media Reform DVD.
We hope these resources will help you bring your activism to the next level. Order your free toolkit today.

Onward,
Josh Silver
Executive Director
Free Press

Since election and voting issues are part of the discussion, here's a fantastic article by Thom Hartmann: http://www.commondrea...­
biggrin