Party for Victory 2012!
East Bay DFA’s Summer Picnic!
We’re having a picnic to celebrate the victories this past year and the opportunities we have in 2012.
Meet up with old friends and make new ones as we get ready for the election!
Sunday July 22, 2012
The picnic is being co-sponsored by the Wellstone Democratic Renewal Club, a local Progressive Democratic Club.
Please bring a substantial side dish, salad, or dessert, + what you’d like to drink. Wellstone will supply burgers, dogs, boca burgers, and the fxin’s.
• Pinch me, I must be dreaming! Pentagon holds first Gay Pride Event this June (Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!) Repeal of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy prohibiting gay members of the military from revealing their sexual orientation.
• Ohio voters came out in support of unions, decisively repealing a measure restricting collective bargaining for public sector workers.
• Mississippi voters decided that a fertilized egg was not a person, defeating an attempt to prohibit abortion through a constitutional amendment.
• Women gain access to free preventive care that includes contraceptive services under new rules of the Affordable Care Act, thanks to the Obama Administration’s efforts. Most health insurance plans will cover women’s preventive services, including contraception, without charging a co-pay or deductible beginning in August, 2012.
• The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) backs away from its pro-gun (“stand your ground”) and voter suppression efforts, as it came under intense scrutiny from progressive groups like Color of Change which began pressuring corporations that fund ALEC to drop their support. ALEC, a right-wing group funded by corporations like ExxonMobil and Koch Industries, announced it will shut down its task force on “non-economic” issues.
What opportunities and lessons learned?
• Turnout is key! Whether it’s walking precincts, making phone calls or donating to campaigns, your personal effort at the grassroots can make the difference.
In California we have a chance to pick up 5 of the 25 seats Democrats need to win back the House and seeing Speaker Pelosi wield the gavel again.
In California we are within striking distance of having the 2/3 majority in both the Senate and the Assembly to control the agenda and pass revenue bills.
• We can support Progressive candidates across the country. DFA National is in the forefront of identifying Progressive candidates and putting resources into their elections.
We are in the process of identifying a Congressional race in another state where we can help win three races at once. We want a Congressional race where we can turn Red to Blue, a Senate race where we are preserving a Blue seat and a swing state where we can help seal the deal for four more Democratic years in the White House.
• In Ohio, 400,000 more people came out to vote than in the previous year, one of the big reasons why progressives won. But it wasn’t just inspiration that turned them out – rank and file union members and progressives of all sorts engaged in massive get out the vote efforts in every corner of the state to make this happen.
We got these two candidates out of the gate in the June Primary .
Now let’s get them across the finish line this Fall!
Abel Guillen –Assembly District 18 (part of Alameda County, Alameda, Oakland, and San Leandro).
Jose Hernandez – Congressional District 10 – Tracy/Modesto
With long hours of daylight this summer, we need everyone’s help to work on their campaigns so we hit the ground running in September!
Abel Guillen is currently serving his second term as a Trustee for the Peralta Community College District and he’s currently serving as it’s President. As a Trustee, he has established himself as a leader on improving the quality of education, expanding career training programs, and providing strong fiscal stewardship for improving access to healthcare and making the college system greener. As our Assemblymember, he will provide this kind of leadership in Sacramento on the tough issues facing California and the East Bay.
Jose Hernandez – The son of a farmworker, Jose faces a first term Tea Party incumbent for Congressional District 10 in the Central Valley where Jose grew up. With the support of the President and Michele Obama and volunteers such as DFA members to help him get to Washington, Jose’s number one, two, and three priorities in Congress would be getting Californians back to work. He supports letting the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy expire so we all pay our fair share. He intends to make sure that Washington find ways move to single payer healthcare to cut the costs of medical coverage and to expand coverage for all Americans.
Interested in Progressive Change? Want to have fun? Come to our Summer Picnic!!
RSVP - Today!
We’re always looking for a few good members to join our organizing team at DFA!
Come talk to any of the team members to consider joining the EB Democracy for America organizing team: Frances, Janet F, Janet S, Mark, Michael, Norman, Sumi, Tara, Vincent & Yvonne.