East Bay "Democracy for America" Meetup Message Board › Got a question for... Phil Angelides? (POST QUESTIONS HERE)

Got a question for... Phil Angelides? (POST QUESTIONS HERE)

Eden J.
Got a question for...

Phil Angelides?

Because you might be able to ask the Democratic frontrunner for Governor a question at this Wednesday's special Oakland DFA Meetup at the Rockridge Libary (7 pm, as usual).

PLEASE RSVP for the Meetup @ http://dfa.meetup.com...­

Angelides --- currently leading Arnold Schwarzenegger in the latest polls charting the 2006 Governor's race --- and Phil Giarrizzo, Field Director for the Alliance for a Better California, will be joining a special *conference call* with DFA Meetups across California on Wednesday night.

The Phils will be talking about the upcoming special election and why we need to defeat Schwarzenegger's initiatives. And they'll be taking questions from Meetuppers. Like you.
-----
If you have a question for Angelides or Giarrizzo, please post it on the Oakland DFA Meetup message board at:

http://dfa.meetup.com...­

DEADLINE: SUNDAY @ 12 PM
-----
Once questions are posted on the Oakland DFA Meetup message board, all Meetuppers are welcome to post their support for their favorite questions as well (please keep your comments generally positive). In this marketplace of ideas (you have the power!), the questions that Meetuppers like the most will be submitted to the conference call organizers.

We're looking forward to reading your questions for Phil Angelides and Phil Giarrizzo! Again, here's the link to post questions and talk about them with each other:

Finally, if you plan to attend Wednesday's Meetup to participate in the conference call --- as well as other Meetup activities to be announced on Monday --- help us prepare and order enough pizza by RSVP'ing now at:

Thank you!

United We Meetup,
Eden, James, Herb, Amy, Jason, and Skay
(and ad hoc members Mary, Jennifer, Sharon and Terry)
Your Oakland DFA Meetup Team
Jerry B.
jerrybb
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 1
Phil Giarrizzo or Phil Angelides,

What steps are you taking to prevent/detect rigging of
the November special election? (E.g. tell people in electronic
voting counties to vote absentee, monitoring
the 1% public recounts, monitoring the central tabulators
on election day,
commissioning exit polls etc.)
Jerry B.
jerrybb
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 2
Phil Angelides and Phil Giarrizzo,

Will you pledge that you will not concede any race or proposition (special, primary, general)
until we can check if the election was rigged and pursue
remedies? I.e. don't fold in a few hours like Kerry did,
because then judges say there is no urgency and matters
can not be investigated.
Jon B.
jonbarril
Oakland, CA
1) Do you support clean money elections for California? What will you do to make it happen during your term as governor?

2) Do you support trusted transparent elections for California? What will you do to make it happen during your term as governor?

3) If Warren Beatty runs, what will you do? Is there room for two progressive candidates in this election? Is there room for two progressives on the ticket?
William W.
wmwlzr
Berkeley, CA
My questions for Angeledes:
What percent of his campaign contributors gave small amounts?
What percent of his campaign dollars come from small contributors.

Would he be willing to accept public financing of his campaign instead of private contributions if it matched the private contributions collected by Schwarzenegger?

Does he support AB 583, the Ca Clean Money and Fair Elections bill?

Bill Walzer 845-6985
Vincent C.
Vincent.C.DFA
Group Organizer
Berkeley, CA
Phil Angelides,

I understand that we are all opposed to the Special Election and the Governor's initiatives, I am concerned that I do not hear more about the values that form the basis of our opposition. can you talk about the values that you are for when it comes to the issues in this election?
A former member
If it's not too late ... I have a question.

Dear Mr. Angelides:

In 1960, the state made a promise with its Master Plan for Higher Education: that every qualified student would have a chance to attend a community college or university in California. But now, according to the California Postsecondary Education Commission, more than 1.8 million students could be turned away from California's community colleges and universities over the next 10 years due to lack of space and funding. The Governor's Compact with the CSU and UC is a good start, but doesn't include the community colleges, and still falls short of the enrollment growth needed to meet the demand for an educated workforce. What do you plan to do to ensure that California keeps its Master Plan promise?

My Best,

Elisa Bongiovanni
A former member
Not sure if this is how to vote, but I am very interested in the question about SB370, the Bowen Bill. How can Mr. Angelides hope to be elected if there is no way to verify the vote in an independent manner?
A former member
What is your position on public financing of campaigns like they have in Arizona and Maine? If you support this kind of campaign finance reform, what would you personally do to make it law in California?

Do you believe that electronic voting in its current form is secure and the voting is tablulated accurately in California? Do you support voter verified paper trails for all voting machines as is currrentl being proposed in AB 370?
Eden J.
Eden
Oakland, CA
Post #: 64
Hey everyone -

You'll be happy to know that I submitted ALL of your questions to the conference call organizers.

I'm not sure which questions they will ask -- or if we'll be given an opportunity to ask a question live -- but I made sure to emphasize how important our group regarded election reform and campaign finance reform --- as evidenced by the questions submitted.

Thank you to everyone for participating and see you at the Meetup!

Cheers,
Eden