The DFW Roleplayers Group Message Board DFW Roleplayers General Discussion › Castles and Crusades: The New beginning

Castles and Crusades: The New beginning

James
_GOD_
Arlington, TX
Post #: 104
This will be the thread for discussion of our Castles and Crusades campaign. I will re post some of the info started in the initial Meet up section as well as post the house rule that I enjoy using.

Feel free to open any discussions about sessions, character creation background suggestions ect...
James
_GOD_
Arlington, TX
Post #: 106
Starting stats are as follows: roll 4d6 for each stat dropping the lowest die roll. arrange the attributes as desired. re-roll all ones. We want heroes , not shopkeepers !
James
_GOD_
Arlington, TX
Post #: 107
I have a map of the continent which will be used. The campaign is not limited to this map. I enjoy a lot of the resources from AD&D 1 and 2 ed's. For races: The only race I may say NO to might be the dark elf, but a really good background might get you a pass . The land is predominantly human but demi human civilizations exist for all races, Half races tend to outcasts by both society and is up to the player to roleplay through such hindrances unless a background cover it. I keep using the reference background, I do expect backgrounds for each character, one paragraph history will be fine but those who put the effort into a detailed background might have an edge over those who skimp. Racial tendencies will be shown at the day of the session. By this I mean is how races see other races, whether they get along or hate one another/ This will come into play if a half orc fighter decides he wants to interact in an elven society. As would an elf trying to interact in a human society.
James
_GOD_
Arlington, TX
Post #: 108
This is not to say this cant be overcome through roleplaying, after all no one hate the hero who saved his village or the merchant who came to his village and no one tends to say anything to the infamous knight known for slaying fighters of the realm either..

Those new to C&C, there are no racial limitation per say attributes or class restrictions in this system. The only classes with an alignment restriction i believe is the paladin who must be lawful good. IE: you can roll up a dwarven wizard or an elven paladin (oldschool here, you couldn't do that in earlier editions of AD&D)

Quick heads up, my campaigns tend to be rpg based than hack N slash,. I am not a fan of D&D 3.o and higher (haven't played D&D Next).
James
_GOD_
Arlington, TX
Post #: 109
Now for the map, some quick layout of possible towns races can come from:

Humans: New Orleans (very diverse racially and with alignment), Goodfaith ( LG human society)Port Jeff (LN society, but all alignments and races welcome, slight racial tendencies there but is a mixed society), Bulls Eyes Den ( Neutral society for humans, but not much racial tendencies there.Pandora's Keep( strictly humans inside the keep, but mixed outside towns( demi humans must earn a place otherwise racial tendencies are there: Currently at war with the Drow of Under dark Forest), Angels grove (Happy go Lucky town, all are welcome here). Denver: Mountainous LG town open to all races. The Enchanted Forest. Crosswalk, Seaford
James
_GOD_
Arlington, TX
Post #: 110
Elves: The enchanted forest ( all sorts of magical beast and creatures roam this realm, Mirkwood Forest (don't want to hear it !) High, elf, Wood elf and wild elves live here. Mountains of Denver ( Grey elven society), Crosswalk

Dwarf: Iron hils (hill dwarves, Mountains of Denver for hill and Moutain dwarves, The Enchanted Forest. Oakland (Dwarves here are at war with the Oakland Raiders ((Fearless but unorganized Orc brigades that roam the lands in large numbers))

Halflings: The Three Shires (NewBriar, Parkland and Bavaria), The enchanted forest Halflings love everyone !

Gnomes: The Enchanted Forest, The iron Hills, The Three Shires,Oakland (Gnomes here are at war with the Oakland Raiders ((Fearless but unorganized Orc brigades))

By all means I encourage players to create their own homelands which can easily be added to the map we will use. Just know, While I thrive of players creating a background with depth, don't think cuz you write that you are an elven prince to a new elven society on the map that you will start with elven chainmail and a ton of gold. Yes I have CK's for some winners over the years !

Hope this helps
James
_GOD_
Arlington, TX
Post #: 111
For Spell Casters:

Wizards and illusionist start out with 3d4+1 zeros and first level spells in their spellbook. Might be more in there for a good background.

Non Wizard, Illusionist spell casters: (netclasses): d4+2 zero level, d4 +1 first level spells in their spellbook. Might be more in there for a good background.

In this system the arcane spell casters receive bonus spells per day as clerics did in older systems for higher wisdoms

Clerics: I am open to any god the character wishes to worship, even if its a completely made up god that you wish to worship. You gain no extra abilities based on a specific god, but an elven cleric worshiping the god of archery might be able to use a bow where as a cleric normally couldn't. Again, backgrounds are important for these types.

I am open to any source for spells. It canbe from net tomes. AD&D (any edition) other rpg's. I wish to approve any such spells from outside sources other than C&C as many net spells are overpowering..

James
_GOD_
Arlington, TX
Post #: 112
Fighters :

why would anyone want a plain old fighter ?

Cuz he gets the best base to hits, and when attempting to roleplay out a feat such as power attack from 3.5, the difficulty will be lower for a normal fighter specializing in the weapon as opposed to a ranger attempting this.

I also play that for every four levels of the fighter, combat dominance HD increases by 1hd.

IE: a 9th level fighter gets 9 extra attacks against all crits with 3 or few HD (1HD base +2 HD for gaining 8 levels)
James
_GOD_
Arlington, TX
Post #: 113
Thieves:

Edited :09/10/2014

Thieves will be normal as per C&C players Handbook
James
_GOD_
Arlington, TX
Post #: 114
Assassin

Sneak attack is replaced with Back Attack.

Death attack is replaced with the AD&D 1ed assassination chart.

Any time an assassin surprises, he can opt to back attack, assassinate or cause normal damage.

In the 1ed DM's guide there is an assassination table that I will be using.

Basically if the victim is the same level as the assassin their is a 50% chance of an instant kill. This percents drop for higher level victims and raises for lower level victims. Making it easier to kill lower level victims and harder for higher level victims.

Assassins must be evil, unless a character comes up with an outstanding background. Then I may allow a neutral alignment but never a good alignment.