DFW WordPress Group Message Board WordPress Q&A › travel categories on website

travel categories on website

Madelyn M.
travellady
Dallas, TX
Post #: 3
I own www.travellady.com
I am currently moving the site to wordpress.

I need categories for each state (and many cities) and each country (and many cities)
Using the categories list makes hundreds of categories.
Any suggestions of other ways to handle this? tabs?
Steven H.
user 12853258
Denton, TX
Post #: 12
I'm not an expert so I haven't hurried to chime in and I'm not sure this helps...hope so. It seems your question requires answers of two natures: How to organize that and how to make it happen.

I see that with the Agent Press Child Theme for the Genesis framework ( http://demo.studiopre...­ ), they use "custom taxonomies" to present their real estate properties in separate drop downs. I haven't looked into how they do this. A person would have to purchase this from Studio Press but then could investigate and also get help from their team of support. Perhaps something like this would work and keep your category list from growing extensively. What they accomplished has both a technical side but also a strategic side to consider...they created a scheme or a grid of custom taxonomies that organize their property listings by more than one criterion.

Be aware that the Genesis framework sets up many functions that are easy for the user but this also might keep you tied to the Genesis framework if you invest a lot of time and work into it. I use Genesis a lot and find their support to be very good.

You could try reading up on custom taxonomies at Wordpress.Org.

Matt C.
user 13749624
Arlington, TX
Post #: 7
The simple way would be to create parent categories for each country, then child categories for each state, then child categories for each city. But then when you post your authors will have to dig through hundreds of categories. And I'm not sure what kind of search and post organization functionality you need.

In the long run, however, this sounds like a job for either Custom Post Types or Pods. I know Pods can dynamically populate lists based on certain criteria (ie only show a list of cities in California if you have selected California as the state so you aren't digging through hundreds of cities), but I'm not sure if that is possible with Custom Post Types.

The other option would be to do a MultiSite install and create subsites for each state or country, ie California.travellady.com.
Tony C.
TonyCecala
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 57
I love the idea that WordPress can be the content engine for such a deep and broad site.

I think that the basic WordPress core can handle this, but you might contact one of these developers for a quote on doing it right from the very beginning. I've seen too many soloprenuers struggle unsuccessfully for months trying to solve this type of design/architecture problem. Remember, your time is worth money too:

Stephanie Leary - sillybean.net - designer/developer - author "WordPress 3" book
Leia Scofield - thirdinteractive.com - full service design/development shop

Best,
Tony
A former member
Post #: 8
When setting up this many geo-targeted locations I have found it is difficult for users to navigate the site. As one of the previous posters commented, it will cause the posting author to sift through 100s of cities every time they post.

A visual map style layout that links to these categories is a great way to navigate this kind and number of categories. I have done a map that uses js so you can click on Texas for example, and then it pops up a box with the cities and will redirect to each accordingly.

Depending on the nature of your business and the amount of data this may be a lot for WordPress to handle. I am not saying that it can't but you need to be realistic with your goals and make sure this platform will work in the long run.