DFW WordPress Group Message Board WordPress Q&A › Conversion Rate Optimization

Conversion Rate Optimization

Chris K.
user 40630072
Dallas, TX
Post #: 12
Anyone familiar with conversion rate optimization? I know this may be more of a discussion related to SEO but I thought I would as the great group of people here first.
Tony C.
TonyCecala
Group Organizer
Plano, TX
Post #: 62
If you want to get a primer on the topic, your best source would be Bryan Eisenberg. He wrote the book... books actually: Call to Action, Waiting for Your Cat to Bark?, and Always Be Testing. http://www.bryaneisen...­
Ron G.
user 42004232
Rockwall, TX
Post #: 1
One of the problems is to have a client willing to pay for the services. It is a very mercurial success, and as Tony said "always testing". I read the book- left me with more questions than answers. As I understand it the "art" consists of;

• research
  • modify
  • measure
  • be confounded by the results
  • research
  • modify
  • realize you are chasing the wrong goal
  • rinse & repeat

Sorry Chris, no real help here...see you Saturday week.
Chris K.
user 40630072
Dallas, TX
Post #: 13
I'm finding more and more people getting involved in this area. It does seem overwhelming with all the testing and metrics so it looks like its only worth it for large companies that generate lots of traffic.
Tony C.
TonyCecala
Group Organizer
Plano, TX
Post #: 63
User testing, conversion testing, and analytics in general are tough disciplines...and they "separate the men from the boys". Amazon has hundreds of optimization tests running every day. If your clients wants to grow beyond their current revenue levels, they must do something different. Doing the same thing will always yield the same results. There is a growth path for small businesses, but it definitely requires intestinal fortitude and commitment.
A former member
Post #: 2
Actually, Wordpress makes it pretty easy to get started on Conversion. It's like anything else: start with easy steps and as you learn you'll ask more questions. The Eisenberg brothers got me started on conversion and now I've written a book on it.

Start by spying on your competitors with tools like Ghostery and Spy-fu. I talk about "spy equipment" in chapter three of my book.

Then get Google Analytics on your site. I recommend the Google Analytics plugin by Joost de Valk for Wordpress sites. Collect some data for 30 days and then go in and play with the reports you get.

Then ask yourself, "What are the things a visitor could do on my site that help my business?" Buy something? Subscribe to an email? Setup a tripwire on these actions so that Google Analytics knows when conversions occur. This will tell you a lot about your most important visitors. I talk about this in more detail in Chapter 5.

If you're investing in any kind of search (organic or paid) you will soon realize that low conversion rates mean you have to spend more and more on search marketing. Why not get more from what you're spending today?

If you're curious, you can explore my book on Amazon: http://conversci.com/...­