user 2341848
New York, NY
Post #: 209
Deleted.
Dorothy K.
DorothyK
New York, NY
Post #: 26
Having read the essay, I was unable to clearly ascertain the author. Are you the author, Massimo?
Massimo
mpigliucci
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 17
Dorothy,

no, I did not write the piece. The author is the blogger known as "the bearded philosopher."
Boris
user 60678042
Forest Hills, NY
Post #: 3
The essay reads as a carefully crafted piece of propaganda with carefully embedded ideological references and not as a philosophical work. Sorry, my impression.
Massimo
mpigliucci
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 18
Propaganda? On behalf of which ideology??
William C.
IDBC
New York, NY
Post #: 35
And what's this line about "Democracies thus require common knowledge (such as about the equal mental faculties of black people and white people, women and men)".

80 years ago, when we elected FDR, most people in the society believed that neither blacks nor women possessed equal mental capabilities as white men. Does this mean that the election of FDR was not a democratic decision and we should dismantle the New Deal?

I think what this means is that in general, all men, women, regardless of skin pigmentation have the latent ability to reason.

I fail to see the connection to FDR's New Deal. Not that there isn't any but my mental faculities fail to see it and I am a so-called white male.
William C.
user 16367121
New York, NY
Post #: 10
Bill, he seemed to be implying that if anyone believed there to be difference in mental aptitudes between races or genders, the society would not be a Democracy.

Chapman: Do you think there are different "races"? I think there are clear different ethicities. And that they are different. There are clearly differences between men and women. But I am not so sure that a women cannot "think" like a man or a man "think" like a women. I think that even if there were differences betweenn the social races-ethicities they are still human biologically. As for men and women it has been my experience that there are women wh

I think what he is advocating is censorship of anyone who wants to express the opinion that there is a difference in mental aptitudes between races and genders.

My point was that 80 years ago, nearly everyone believed there to be a difference in aptitudes between races and genders, and we were a healthy, functioning Democracy nonetheless.

William C.
user 16367121
New York, NY
Post #: 11
As for men and women it has been my experience that there are women who are smarter than I am.

I think what he is advocating is censorship of anyone who wants to express the opinion that there is a difference in mental aptitudes between races and genders.

Biil Chapman, I don't think that is what he is adovcating. What I am advocating is that even if there are differences between men and women, or the so-called different races-ethinicities they still have the right to particpate in a democracy.

My point was that 80 years ago, nearly everyone believed there to be a difference in aptitudes between races and genders, and we were a healthy, functioning Democracy nonetheless.

Bii Chapman. Attitudes change. 80 years ago nearly every so-called white race person had the attidude that every so-called black race person did not have the aptitude to be president. In a healthy functioning democracy ATTITUDES CHANGE.

Cancel
Insert a photo from your albumsOr
link to a photoImage URLLink URL (optional) Cancel
Cancel
Paste the embedding code for your video below
You can get embedding code by putting your videos on: YouTube, Google Video, Vimeo
Learn how to get your video on these sites.
Cancel Link to...
Link AddressLink Text Cancel Check spelling

Yikes! You've entered an email address. Your message will be displayed for others, including email spammers, to read. You may wish to consider removing the email address.

. Track this discussion .

Boris
user 60678042
Forest Hills, NY
Post #: 4

Propaganda? On behalf of which ideology??

Good question. Nothing that I would endorse. It is subtle, and clever, as well as patently false and misleading.

Massimo
mpigliucci
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 19
Boris,

your comments are so vague that I still don't have the foggiest idea of what you find so objectionable in the article.