Dinner & Philosophy Message Board › Special event! The North East Conference of Science and Skepticism is coming up!

Special event! The North East Conference of Science and Skepticism is coming up!

Massimo
mpigliucci
Group Organizer
New York, NY
All,

this is not a Dinner & Philosophy Now sponsored event, but it should be of interest to all people concerned with science, skepticism, philosophy and critical thinking. The details for the conference can be found here:

necss.org

Notice that I will be making not one, not two, but a whopping three appearances at the conference:

* On Saturday, 4/6 at 11 I will be giving a talk by the title of "Science, Philosophy, and the Meaning of Life."

* That same day, at 12 I will be participating in a dialogue with Skeptic magazine published Michael Shermer, on the theme of "What is the Role of Science in Morality?" (moderated by Julia Galef).

* The following day, Sunday 4/7 at 2:40 Julia and I will present a special live episode of the Rationally Speaking podcast with guest Jim Holt, who has written a book entitled "Why Does the World Exist?: An Existential Detective Story."

Please, consider joining us, the rest of the program is just as exciting! Registration for the conference is on the NECSS web site, not at Dinner & Philosophy Now.

Hope to see you there!

~Massimo
barbara
user 6738164
New York, NY
Post #: 1

There are always so many people on the wait list that I have given up. Why not go back to the old format at the Ethical Culture so that many more people can enjoy these discussions?
Massimo
mpigliucci
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 21
Because the Ethical Culture setting does not allow for food, is much more impersonal, and it makes it difficult to have a conversation (as opposed to a lecture with q&a).

At any rate, this particular event is different, and open to a much larger number of people.
William C.
user 16367121
New York, NY
Post #: 15

There are always so many people on the wait list that I have given up. Why not go back to the old format at the Ethical Culture so that many more people can enjoy these discussions?

I have also given up on trying to attend the Philosophy Meetup for the same reason.
I do seem to recall attending Meetups at Ethical Culture that had food served, although they were the ones who usually supplied the food.

And it is food for the mind which is the main goal, I think of philosophy.

Of course large groups do tend to be less intimate and personal then smaller groups.

However as it was pointed out, this event is different. I will be attending this event looking forward to hearing Massimo.