Hi Vancouver Djangonauts!
Thanks to everyone who attended the November Django Vancouver meetup tonight.
Super special thanks to:
- Sonia and Eric from A Thinking Ape for hosting the meetup
- Justin Johnson of Tiipz for providing pizza and beer
- Andy McKay of Mozilla Vancouver for bringing his projector screen
Here's a quick recap of the topics discussed:
- Ian discussed a bug in Django running on MySQL where a race condition can occur when multiple threads call get_or_create.
- Justin demoed the Tiipz concept built on Django, and asked the group about best practices for authentication and authorization when building a REST API to power an AJAX application.
- Yaron demoed the CrowdFanatic platform built on Django, and expressed that CrowdFanatic is currently looking to hire more Django developers.
- Juan presented an Django developer employment opportunity currently open at the UBC Faculty of Medicine.
- Bryan demoed an AJAX web app backed by Django and Tastypie.
- Colin presented an example Stripe app for Django, and asked the group about best practices for constructing example Django apps.
- Mark discussed a Django database sharding technique he recently created.
- Keven demoed StackRocket, a virtual development platform that supports Django.
- John discussed some simple ways to secure a production Django app against malicious attacks.
Thanks again to all who came out. Our next meetup will be in the first week of December, stay tuned for the official announcement.