The Heroes' Guild of Maryland Message Board › Game Of Thrones RPG Tabletop Game (D&D 3.5 Rules) Timonium Cockeysville

Game Of Thrones RPG Tabletop Game (D&D 3.5 Rules) Timonium Cockeysville

Bob
user 9790587
Joppa, MD
Post #: 44
Hello all,

My girlfriend and I fans of the TV series and with the 3rd season of "A Game Of Thrones" which prompted me to recently purchase a copy of the D20 version "A Game Of Thrones RPG" which actually came out in 2005 before the TV series.

Their are 2 tabletop RPG versions out D20 and another one that's designed in another RPG game system and I read both reviews on both A game Of Thrones RPG's and and the D 20 actually got 5 out of 5 Stars from the guy who does of the RPG.net game reviews, and the other review on the other one he said not so great job.

Anyhow, looking to start up a game of the Game Of Thrones D20 version which is basically 3.5 D&D on Saturday evenings about twice a month in the Timonium Cockeysville area.

A little about the game itself. A Game of Thrones is low magic RPG fantasy game that is human based. Humans are the only race to play and only one magic class to play which is pretty powerful and is said to be one of most powerful classes to play but comes at a heavy price.

Now the catcher is I'm not really trying host and run the game at the same time so we're looking for someone who would atleast help run the game and I could from time to time if need be fill in to give break from the hot spot so to speak. Plus I have not played 3.5 in a while.

I have purchased extra "A Game Of Thrones" core books, though they are not here yet lol. So if you don't have one no sweat as I will give the GM one if you don't have it as the books are hard to find and also other players who don't have one when we play their will exta core books at the table to use for playing and to use for building your characters.

So looking for maybe 2 older mature players (30+) and a GM who's knows 3.5 rules

Thanks

Daniel S.
user 76801412
Annapolis, MD
Post #: 1
I ran a d20 GOT game for a couple of years and while the rules are d20 based there are quite a few differences from 3.5 (no aoo, armor as DR, defense rolls, little to no healing, etc). Eventually I had to ignore the rules and focus more on the story telling. Combat is very crazy at higher levels because of the defense rolls and multiple attacks.

I could certainly run the game (although I live in Annapolis and I'm not sure I could do twice a month), but there would need to be house rules to keep the system from breaking down.
Bob
user 9790587
Joppa, MD
Post #: 45
Hi Daniel,

Wow someone who's played "A Game Of Thrones" !

Well, as you know rules are easily fixed and or customized to more 3.5 rules or what ever works to make the game smooth per say.

From what skim reading I did through the Game Of Thrones book when I read though it looks like basic 3.5 D&D to me, the Feats, basic rules, etc. if there are minor differences then it sounds like they can be easily fixed.

As for you living in Annaoplis yeah that's about a 40 minute ride (non traffic time) from me as I work next to the Naval Academy from time to time as the company I work for as a Carpenter is buidling homes over that way, Southway Builders. But it shouldn't be a bad drive for you since we would be playing Saturday evenings. I used play Palladium Rifts with a group in Annaplois a few years back.

My basement has a 4 x 8 table with a dry ease 1 inch grid mat on it so a GM can easily describe things right on the table with a marker, which can make things very easy for gaming and while we game I typically set out a good bit of food, veggy tray and dips, chips, dips and soda, burgers & hot dogs off the grill, Cheese & Cracker tray, baked beens, the list goes on.

Well, I'm nattering on let me know if you open to try and if not I totally understand!

Thanks,
Bob

Daniel S.
user 76801412
Annapolis, MD
Post #: 4
I think it's worth a try. I'll talk to "she who controls my time" and make sure that she's okay with it (we have a 2 year old, but as long as it's not every week, she should be fine).

It would be nice to have a third or forth person for the game, but I've run for two before.

I'm thinking the game would be fun if it was based during "Robert's Rebellion" about 17 years before the books/TV show. We can talk about that later though.
Bob
user 9790587
Joppa, MD
Post #: 46
I see your two year old, gosh I remeber those days with mine when they were that young ! Though I my ex wife and I had 2 boys and my youngest is now coming up on 15 shock shows my age!

I'm sure we can get another player or 2 for sure! I only posted this yesterday and I also posted on another board.

As for game details you know more then I as I'm only as good as the TV series!

I'll PM you after I get off of work give my email address and we'll work out the details on the game and you can expalin the pro's and con's of the system in better depth and how we could work out the bugs so speak.

As for your Mrs. I totally understand and let me know ! I'm cleared already as she's playing wink

Greatly thanks,
Bob

Daniel S.
user 76801412
Annapolis, MD
Post #: 5
Sounds good. we'll chat via email.
Bob
user 9790587
Joppa, MD
Post #: 49
We are still looking and now looking to get started in the next several weeks.

Thanks
Bob
user 9790587
Joppa, MD
Post #: 50
Update:

Daniel the person who was going to GM the game has understandably pulled out of the game.

So once again the GM spot is open and if you like to GM 3.5 D20 games here is your time to step in. If you like to play also I have no problem in stepping in from time to time to rotate the GM spot but I'd like to get re aquainted first with the rules again before we do that.

I will give you a copy of the "A Game Of Thrones" (AGOT) Game Book as its only one to the game but 500 pages worth!LOL

Don't worry to much about not knowing about A game Of Thrones books series as I don't even know the book series but do have the DVD's and can lend them to you if you want. Also the Core book tells you everything you really need to know about the game for the most part!