The Ann Arbor kings Dungeons & Dragons Meetup Group Message Board › Teen Game Campaign Notes

Teen Game Campaign Notes

Rafael
user 14096141
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 27
Blake, we're sorry to see you go, and if you change your mind in the future, remember you always have a place at our table.

To fill the gap for now, Brennen has invited one of his friends to our sessions. Her name is Zuvuya, and she has expressed interest in playing a Cleric. She's been playing for a while now with another group, so she is familiar with the rules and the character creation. We've mentioned to her that she should log on here, and check out this thread for info. Does this sound good to everyone?

I know Grace also mentioned a neighbor who was interested, and this shouldn't preclude them from joining as well. That would bring our group up to 6, a respectable number! Let us know what you guys think!
Grace J.
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 2
Sounds good to my dad and me. I might be asking my neighbor if he wants to join depending on how crowded it seems next time. With him I think we would actually have 7 members in our group (right?) Looking forward to our next meetup! smile
Peter J.
user 12275327
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 45
Rafael, I hope you're feeling better. Since you had to leave early, here's a summary of the conclusion of last night's meetup:

The party had approached the abbey, in hopes of finding the Whispering Way agents that had been working with the vampires in Caliphas. They succeeded a little too well: they found the witch Hester, her guards, and a demon minion of hers. The demon surprised Steve while he was trying to sneak into the abbey, and stunned him with magic. Grace used her plot twist card, so one of the guards was put in charge of tying up Steve instead of the demon devouring him on the spot.

With Steve out of the picture, the demon was able to cast Reverse Gravity and send Dorling 130 feet strait up into the air. Meanwhile, Hester the witch cast a Mass Suggestion spell that convince several of the party members waiting outside to take a swim in waters, which happened to be infested with Spirit Naga.

With the party partially split up and taken by surprise, things weren't going so well. By the time Andrease and Steve had to leave, both Summer and Dorling were wounded, the Demon was rampaging and about to take on Andreasea one-on-one (although feeble-minded), two Vroks (summoned by the demon) were attacking Summer and Dorling, and Sauburn had been turned into a small frog by the witch. Zandra was running around kicking butt, as barbarians are wont to do.

Before the Rafael left, he played in plot twist card, which said he was able to talk his way out of trouble. Since the demon was feeble-minded, it wasn't too hard for Andrease to bluff him into thinking he should not be fighting now, and instead should go attend to other duties. So, the demon left.

Hesta the witch fell back to summon more help, and the party took this opportunity to flee the scene. Using Summer's Transport Via Plants spell, the party traveled quickly back to Caliphas to regroup, heal up, and plan a new assault on the Whispering Way agents... preferably soon before they flee the area and leave the party without any clues as to where to go next.

Somebody will need to find somebody to cast Break Enchantment on Sauburn, so he's not a frog anymore. Everyone will need to heal up, and plan a good attack strategy. It wont take but a couple of days for Hesta and the other Whispering Way agent to figure out that the party was not a mercenary group sent by the vampire tailor to extort more bloodbrew from them, but in fact friends of the Order sent to destroy the Whispering Way...

Cheers,

-Peter
Rafael
user 14096141
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 28
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the synopsis and the well-wishes. I'm feeling good now, and we'll be there this weekend.

I feel we should go back the same night. We're down a few resources, but so are they. It'll depend on the next part though:
Baleful Polymorph has a duration of permanent. Based on the description if the duration, I should be able to get rid of it with Dispel Magic. Do you read this the same way Peter? I don't think anything in the description of the spell contradicts this...
http://www.d20pfsrd.c...­
Alex S.
user 110534022
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 7
Yes, I believe that baleful polymorph can be dispelled, but there are two spells that might be useful to get/cast before the fight. Namely dismissal (for the demon or other extra-planers) and nightmare, to ideally reduce the witch's (or what ever) spellcasting.
Peter J.
user 12275327
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 46
On the second attempt, the party successfully defeated the twin sister witches Hetna and Aisa Dublesse. Searching through their possessions, you are able to piece together the following:

* The sisters were being paid by the Whispering Way to produce blood-brew. This potion allowed the Whispering Way to upset the power balance of Caliphas' vampire clan, by allowing enslaved vampires and vampire spawn to escape the control of their masters, and rebel. Since the vampires in Caliphas are an historic enemy of the Whispering Way, the blood-brew was being used to get eliminate them as a threat.

* The witch sisters were also hired to work for an unknown noble benefactor in Caliphas, and were attempting to find a way to extend life. The party has found a vial of Sun Orchid Elixir with just a few drops remaining. This was in the laboratory, and was being used as research material. Anyone who drinks this will gain 1d12 years of additional life. However, this benefactor (who does not seem to have anything to do with the Whispering Way) will likely come looking for this item once the demise of the witches is discovered.

* The witch Aisa Dubless had discovered some alchemical method of turning herself into a vampire. It might be best just to destroy her notes about this, although you could choose to keep them for some other purpose.

* The witches themselves were not Whispering Way agents, and as such have no information as to where the Whispering Way may be or what they are up to (other than the blood-brew scheme with the vampires).

However, upon returning to Caliphas to rest up, an apparently magically charmed delivery boy comes to the party's room and delivers the following written message. It was sent by Ramoska Arkminos, the nosferatu who had been blamed for the vampire killings. He had promised to help the party track down the Whispering Way if the party helped clear his name.

"It is my understanding that you are responsible for my release from Sievage's custody, and for that you have my undying thanks. I now make haste to return to my home, but there is one final piece of business I must attend to. As promised, I will tell you what I know of the Whipsering Way and their plans. I leave it up to you to decide your next step."

"Upon further study of the sample of the elixir the Whipsering Way gave me, it apperas my theory that Prince Ordranti is the cult's target was ill-founded. Instead, I've determined that the concoction is meant for someone else -- Count Lucinean Galdana of Amaans. Judging by the componen ts used in the elixir's creation, the cult doesn't just plan on transforming Galdana into a lich, however. Rather, it seems they intend to remake him into the most powerful lich this world has ever known -- some sort of vessel for the Whispering Tyrant himself. I desire no part in such ill-conceived goals, and urge you to find Count Galdana before they do."

"At this point, I am convinced that the Whispering Way has fled to their greatest stronghold, the fortress-monastery of Renchurch, in the haunted highlands of Virlych's Hungry Mountains, ready to enact the final phase of their plans. Should you decide to venture there in search of them, I wish you good fortune."

"Sincerely yours, Ramoska Arkminos"

The party quickly seeks out the home of Count Galdana, but finds his apartments at the Magesty Hotel empty, with clear signs of a struggle pointing to his abduction at the hands of the Whispering Way. Count Galdana was one of the Esoteric Order of the Palatine Eye that the party met earlier in Caliphas, and was helpful to the party in getting permission to use the Orders vaults.

Peter J.
user 12275327
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 47
Searching the Abbey after the witch sisters were defeated, the party finds the following items:

Laboratory and Hetna Dublesse:

• Elemental gem (air)
  • 2x potions of bear's endurance
  • 2x potions of cure moderate wounds
  • +1 dagger
  • amulet of natural armor +3
  • belt of incredible dexterity +4
  • broom of flying
  • headband of vast inteligence +4 (knowledge history and planes)
  • ring of protection +3
  • witching gown
  • 723 gp
  • cauldron of brewing
  • instructions for making blood-brew elixir, which requires blood of a blood-knight
  • 4x scrolls of protection from evil
  • a few drops of Sun Orchid Elixir, enough to extend life by 1d12 years

In the room off the study, the party discovers that the headless skeleton is gone, and cannot be located.

5 Charmed guards (one is still alive, but is free from his magical loyalty to the witches)
EACH guard has:

• 2x potion cure moderate
  • +2 breastplate
  • +1 longsword
  • masterwork light crossbow and 10 bolts (Hey, Sauburn, take one of these!)
  • 200gp

The vampire paladin that committed suicide in front of the abbey had:

• +1 breastplate
  • +1 heavy shield
  • +2 ghost touch longsword

The party finds 4 vampires that have been slain and staked to prevent them from turning into mist and returning to their coffins. You may destroy them or free them or leave them, as you wish. If you pull out the stakes, they will turn to mist and flee.

The slain blood-knight in the basement:

• +1 full plate
  • +2 bastard sword
  • +1 bastard sword
  • brooch of shielding
  • cloak of resistance +2
  • ring of protection +1

Aisa Dublesse:

• 4x bloodbrew elixir
  • 2x elemental gems (1 each of earth, fire)
  • 2x potion bulls strength
  • 2x potion eagles splendor
  • 2x potion inflict serious wounds
  • scroll of planar ally
  • wand of ray of exhaustion (22 charges)
  • wand of enervation (16 charges)
  • staff of cackling wrath (10 charges)
  • headband of vast intelligence +4 (knowledge history and religion)
  • lesser extend metamagic rod
  • ring of protection +4
  • witching gown
  • 715 gp

The "Witching Gown" is a custom magic item each of the sisters have. It is helpful to anyone (more or less a cloak of resistance +2), but more useful to witches (duh). Since I presume you will want to just sell these, I won't copy down the full description here. The full market purchase price is 35,000 gp each.
Peter J.
user 12275327
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 48

So, this ends the "Ashes at Dawn" module. Everyone should level up to level 13, congratulations!

We can proceed directly into the next module in the series, but I thought I would ask if any of the players would like to try writing and running a one-session adventure for the party? Anybody have an interest in trying their hand at GM for a session? If you want, I could co-GM and help out with the details, or you can go solo and I'll be a player character for a day.

Just thought I'd throw that out there and see if anybody had an interest. If so, speak up! If not, no worries, we can just proceed to the next module in the series.

Let me know!

Cheers,

-Peter
Peter J.
user 12275327
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 49
Note I made three (3) posts above, please be sure to read them all so you know what's going on in the campaign. smile

Cheers,

-Peter
Rafael
user 14096141
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 29
Thanks for the summary and all the info Peter!
I'm surprised by the loot, I don't see a crystal ball or scrying device, so I'm still curious how these witches always seemed to know what we up to. If we could find and use that against the Whispering Way, it would be a nice advantage.

I say once the Abbey is cleared, we can use it as a temporary base of operations for the next leg of out adventure. Even if we end up using another demiplane, the entrance should be there.

As for the rest of the info:
*The party has found a vial of Sun Orchid Elixir with just a few drops remaining

Since we may be staying around, I would suggest leaving this alone, and seeing who comes to get it. We could possibly make an ally this way.

* The witch Aisa Dubless had discovered some alchemical method of turning herself into a vampire. It might be best just to destroy her notes about this, although you could choose to keep them for some other purpose.

I say destroy them.

"At this point, I am convinced that the Whispering Way has fled to their greatest stronghold, the fortress-monastery of Renchurch, in the haunted highlands of Virlych's Hungry Mountains, ready to enact the final phase of their plans. Should you decide to venture there in search of them, I wish you good fortune."

Perhaps we can do some research on this in the Order's library.

As for the loot, I'm sure we'll sell most of it, but there are a few items I think we can use:
amulet of natural armor +3
belt of incredible dexterity +4
headband of vast inteligence +4 (knowledge history and planes)
headband of vast intelligence +4 (knowledge history and religion)
ring of protection +3
12x potion cure moderate
+2 ghost touch longsword
ring of protection +4

I think Steve and our Cleric should get the two headbands of INT, and we'll distribute all the cure potions. As for the others, if you would like it, say so, and also say what you currently have to replace it with, so if you have a Ring of Protection +3 and want the +4, we'll still have a +3 in the loot pile.

Also, we may be doing some normal crafting, but I'd also like to take a little while to craft an item for each group member (or split the time with Sauburn). If you have a free item slot, let me know. I can create you an item which grants a continuous Protection from Evil effect for 2000 gp, or for 4000gp I can make a slotless item. Perhaps we're done with vampires, but who knows what else we're going to face.