addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Austin D&D and Tabletop RPG Meetup Message Board Resources › Some Options for D&D Gaming in Austin Area

Some Options for D&D Gaming in Austin Area

Terry M.
TerryMichaels
Manchaca, TX
Post #: 45
We've been hermits. Time to come out of the shell. My wife and I will be at some of the next conventions and otherwise being more active in the gaming community.

Our campaign is 30+ years running; 26 in California, 4 here in Austin.
We own a complete set of OD&D, 1st, 2nd books, with quite a few 3rd.

We wanted to offer some resources to the group. We've otherwise been rather quiet until now. We have our core group of four more players, and haven't felt the need.

Time to offer some options:

1) Drop-in players. NPC characters, players wanting to run monsters, visitors here to watch.
2) Two seats for players, but only those who: A) are calm; B) have ethics; C) think long-term
3) Macintosh computer programs, self-created, that will run virtually any aspect of the game for you, created over a period of twenty years. Will share generously for trade of resources.
4) Rooms for a mini-convention with warning (six rooms available, would need tables and chairs brought in for four of the rooms, my house, owned. However, I have veto power on who comes. It's my home.
5) Borrowing library (deposit required, we're not totally silly).
6) Complete Dragon, Dungeon, and nearly complete Polyhedron Newszine collection for research.
7) Sage advice, for those looking for the answer to something from Original D&D all the way up through 2nd. 3rd edition and beyond is quite beyond me, at least for now. We use pieces of it in our campaign (for instance, we use some of the spells, monsters, and items, and a few of the classes are used as options for characters who join certain secret societies.)
8) Help creating charts/random lists, detailed jewelry, pubs, etc. using the programs we have written.
9) Theater help (I have a theater background), which is very useful for keeping players focused and entertained.
10) DM advice for those DMs having trouble with players and player advice for those having trouble with DMs.
11) We'll be starting up a public website and other resources for sharing 30+ years of work on the game. If anyone knows something about doing this, we'd greatly appreciate help setting it up (we have some minimal knowledge of doing so, but any help or advice is welcome from more experienced members of the community).
12) PBM is an option, with the option of running a Birthright style campaign (whole countries), or running a specific NPC or PC in the campaign world. Most of the world runs automatically, but it never hurts to throw a human element into the mix for the regular player characters that won't fold under pressure.
13) May I suggest you post YOUR specialties, your strengths, offer YOUR services and resources. We've found it helps to support others in their games rather than have a narrow view of "competing DMs". It served us well in the San Francisco Bay Area in California, and the gaming community blossomed as many of us did that. I'd love to see that happen in Austin. My wife and I would like to encourage you.
You'll find most of these in other places as well, we have some very talented and experienced DMs and Players in the area, and they have my respect (we've been hermits, focused on my own game and content, so we don't know most of them), but if we can help, now that we've come out of my hermitage, let us know.
14) Parents? We have a daughter. Hard to find time to game. Consider us an option for on and off visits.
15) Need a visiting player to run an NPC/Monster/Helping DM for your own game? Let us know. We might have the day free if it isn't our regular time.
16) Why stop the list here? Let's get some ideas of your own out there. We've met a lot of talented and resourceful people in the short time we've been here, and though a few have been outside the realm of what we are looking for as players, we have been pleased to see that Austin has it's share of gamers as well.

We play Sundays, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in South Austin/Manchaca.
Feel free to contact us to talk or share ideas/goals/get help with something.
We want to encourage you to enjoy YOUR version of the game.

Have fun, everyone, and be joyful.
kjolnir
user 8588220
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 8
Sounds like quite the list ;-)

I'd definitely be interested in joining as a player, and the game time works for me as well. I DMd a campaign in Houston for two years before moving to Austin, and am looking to join another gaming group.

I've got about half of the 3.5e books that used to be in print, and can help you guys out with that aspect of the game, as the majority of my recent experience lies there.
James H.
MightyDuck836
Austin, TX
Post #: 25
I would be interested in the game time as well, though I haven't touched anything other than 4E in a few years. The ability to option to act as a "recurring" character, for lack of a better term, is great for me as I have commitments that see me gone at least one weekend a month and, in the case of next month, one weekend and two and a half weeks at the tail end of the month.

Also, if you set up any resources off the meetup sight like that public website, let me know. I can either sticky your posts about it or create it myself to keep it from being lost under new posts.

Terry M.
TerryMichaels
Manchaca, TX
Post #: 46
We've started a Google Doc to share with participants for tailoring and sharing ideas about the things we are going to post.
Someone is working on a different site to put the materials when done for more public access.
We have someone coming to play.
We have someone who wants to be a visiting NPC/monster/helping DM, etc.

Three programs have been written in the last few days based on requests:

1) Determines chance of your mount being lost, damaged or killed based on cover, condition, HD, time, location, level of area, proximity of foes/friends, etc.
2) Determines the conditions of a crop for a given farm based on acreage, random events, etc.
3) One for tracking how fast different characters or groups of characters of different races use up a given amount of airspace to breath.

That's in the last few days.
Tons more of old ones. Yeah, been holding out. However, it's all on Mac! Sorry, guys. I'm happy to do the thinking/work, but I have a Mac, not a PC. It's in a Supercard format that can be turned into stand-alone applications to give away. It's an object-oriented programing language.

Suggestions welcome. Help even more welcome. Have fun with the hobby.