add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Austin D&D, Pathfinder, RPG Meetup Group Message Board Discussions › Your ideal system - while we wait...

Your ideal system - while we wait...

Terry M.
Manchaca, TX
Those that are playtesting cannot ethically reveal what is coming up, based on the agreements they made with WotC, but while we wait, care to share the following?

If you could create a NEW system for D&D, what from past systems would be in it?

This is not a "I hate your idea" thread.  This is simply a bit of brainstorming of your favorite things that you would keep, or even new things you would add.

Don't respond with arguments (unless you're ignoring the theme of the thread), just post your own favorites and ideas.

Be interesting to see what ideas come up.

I'll post my own last or very late, (maybe).
Jimm J.
Austin, TX
Post #: 12
If you could create a NEW system for D&D, what from past systems would be in it?

Nothing... Except for the stripped down most basic mechanics. Armor Class, Hit points, saving throw, etc. It would be incumbent upon the DM to develop (read: "house-rule") the game into a system unique to his personal desires and playing style. The system would be the DM's personal work of art, different from the game being run by every other DM. Oh wait. This system already exists. It came out in 1974 in a little white box.

Terry M.
Manchaca, TX
Post #: 70
Want to sign up as a Meetup Organizer?
Run a game using the original boxed set.
I bet a lot of people try it, if only for the novelty (only to discover it's very fun, of course).

I'd probably join in, depending on when you do it.
Interested? Let me know.

Any other additions to the thread?
Dorian S.
user 59239592
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
I think 3.5 and pathfinder is too codified a system. There is a ruling for everything. I think 2nd edition had good ideas at least in format. I know all of us don't like buying a ton of books, but if it is all in one big book, even if you say in a line "optional" people will assume if it's in core it's law and then the problems begin. By breaking it up into separate books you can at the table just say "we use these books, not these books."

Flip side is basic D&D rules cyclopedia, everything in one book. You have one book and everything you Need for 36 levels of fun. The reason that way can possible work is the rules are so minimal and open ended, giving maximum power to the DM to create the story.

So I think formatting would be important, the "core" would be as basic as you need to create characters and run a game. Have it be the DMG and PHB combined. As a separate book have a book called "the complete character options" and have the different optIons on how to make characters as different chapters. Then release the Monster Manual.
Terry M.
Manchaca, TX
Post #: 71
bucky, special thanks for efforts to keep this away from version bashing and thanks to everyone for staying with the spirit of that and any future people that help calmly and politely monitor the thread.
You're making feel utterly useless as a moderator and that's wonderful, frankly.

Always risky starting a thread like this, but Norm (foolish, foolish Norm) gave me some free reign to experiment and try some new things and now you are all paying for it (MWAAHAHAHA).

Let's see if we can continue to avoid commenting on other people's post and simply continue to encourage non-participants to share their two-quarters (inflation, you know, cents are so last century).

Keep speaking up, everyone.