Austin D&D, Pathfinder, RPG Meetup Group Message Board Events › D&D Event and Meet-ups at the Austin Public Library

D&D Event and Meet-ups at the Austin Public Library

Jerod
user 4245920
Austin, TX
Post #: 5
The Austin Public Library is hosting a Dungeons and Dragons event at the Howson Branch on 2500 from 1-4 pm on August 9th. From what I gathered, it's going to be a kind of intro to D&D for kids ages 12-17. That probably excludes quite a few of the members here, but I know some gamers have little gamers that age, or may at least know some.

Since we had problems with the Meet-up site on the 19th (a Warhammer tournament bumped us out of Battleforge), I asked the library personnel what the rules were for using their meeting rooms for possible future game sessions. It turns out there is no fee for the use, and none of the rules would pose a problem. The only thing would be they would ask us to start packing up at around 4:45 because the libraries all close at 5:00. There aren't time block restrictions, though, so we could just move up the meeting times. Best of all, they take reservations, so we would be assured a spot.

Does anyone have any thoughts about whether library gaming sounds like something worthwhile to try?
Flynn
Flynn
Austin, TX
Post #: 44
I would love to try it out, if we can. Does anyone have a preference on which location to use?

With Regards,
Flynn
Christian
user 4187847
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
If you are looking to stay in the same basic vicinity (as BattleForge and Dragon's Lair), the North Village Branch (2139 West Anderson, 78757) and the Yarborough Branch (2200 Hancock Drive, 78756) appear to be the two closest locations. I've not been to either location; so that's not necessarily a recommendation.

From the library's website, it appears that the North Village Branch has a meeting room (25 person capacity) and the Yarborough Branch has an auditorium (60 person capacity) and a conference room (12 person capacity) available for reservation. I have no idea what sort of demand for these spaces already exists.

There are branches all over the place though, if there is interest in holding meetups in another part of town. Locations are posted here: http://www.ci.austin....­

According to the Library's website, the Howson Branch (2500 Exposition Road, 78703) mentioned by Jerod has a meeting room that can accomodate 45 people.
Becca
user 7086223
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
The Yarborough conference room, if I'm thinking of the right one, is better than a 12-person room. It's a great size, lots of chairs, and the location is pretty nice.

I know that room well because the local chapter of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) uses it for monthly business meetings, and there is plenty of room.

Becca :)
A former member
Post #: 2
It might just be me, but when I D&D my group tends to become rather boistrous... my concern would be that, even through a door and with a little soundproofing, the nature of D&D may create a conflict because... well... it gets a little loud.
Christian
user 4187847
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
I don't think Jeter's concern is a non-issue; but, the noise level is something that is within our control. Whereas, the ability to obtain the necessary space/seating at Battleforge really is not (as we learned at the last Saturday meetup there, when we had to relocate to Texpresso after we were told to leave Battleforge due to lack of space).

As always, I am looking forward to the next Saturday meetup, but not so much the location; Battleforge is just a terrible venue for the Saturday meetups. Don't get me wrong, I like the store and its staff; I shop there regularly. But given its emphasis on Warhammer gaming on many (most?) Saturdays, there frequently is little or no room there for us.

I know the Saturday meetup has tried to schedule around Battleforge's Warhammer events, but the store's event schedule seems less than transparent. Its event schedule never seems to get posted on the store's website, and the store doesn't accept reservations. So meeting there on Saturdays seems like it always is going to be a crap shoot.

I, for one, really would like to give one or more of the library venues a shot. It would mean moving the meetup up in time by an hour or two (due to the library's early Saturday closing time), if we are going to retain the present social hour/one-shot adventure schedule. But I think that's a change worth making to guarantee the space.

If others are in agreement, I am happy to do the necessary legwork (making reservations etc.).
Jerod
user 4245920
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
I'd like to give the library a whirl. If it doesn't work out, we just go back to the game stores.
Flynn
Flynn
Austin, TX
Post #: 45
I, too, would like to try the library. Christian, please feel free to make the arrangements. When you've got something set up, let me know, and I'll change the location of the next Saturday Meetup.

With Regards,
Flynn
Christian
user 4187847
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
Well, I tried to make the necessary arrangements; but, THE MAN is keeping me down.

It turns out that I live in an odd patch of Williamson County that, though it's called "Austin," does not qualify as Austin for tax or other purposes. So the good folks of the Austin library system will not issue me a library card, which in turn keeps me from reserving meeting rooms in any Austin public library.

So, while I still think the library is a great idea, I cannot make the necessary arrangements.

Perchance, would someone in Austin proper with a library membership care to make arrangements?

Sorry to be such a diaper-clad man-baby, folks. :(
Jerod
user 4245920
Austin, TX
Post #: 7
No sweat, I've got a card. What branch do we want, and what time would we want to start? (I'm assuming the same Saturday).