The Columbia Dungeons & Dragons/Superhero RPG Meetup Group Message Board › "Sorta like dating . . .": Matchmaking for the RPG Gametable

"Sorta like dating . . .": Matchmaking for the RPG Gametable

A former member
Post #: 15
The good news, however, is that she feels terribly guilty about making me cancel, which most likely will mean baked goods. :)

Pffft....baked goods for YOU =P
Brian H.
user 9166135
Columbia, SC
Post #: 15

Rats! I was really looking forward to having you join us. Still, family first. With any luck, some of us still meeting tomorrow will get on well enough to want to grab an impromptu coffee or something one evening in the coming week or so. I'll keep you posted.

M

Yeah, please do!
Tzalik
Ninja-Monkey
Columbia, SC
Post #: 36
I'm sorry I hadn't kept up with this discussion from the begining. I came into it late when I received the e-mail announcing the meetup.

My name is Joshua and I'm an assistant organizer here for our meet-up. I missed your scheduled meet-up, however I hope you'll have another soon so I can participate.

I've been gaming for years, and will play nearly anything. My characters tend to have extravagent backgrounds or be a bit excentric because I love the story and love a game master thats willing to use my background as a launching board for adventures or stories.

I'd have to say I'm a story first type of gamer. I'd rather spend an entire session with the players talking in character even if it accomplished nearly nothing than to hack and slash my way through a random dungeon just because I found it. White Wolfs games are a favorite for me becuase they tend to award EXP per session based on role-playing and not on the number of bad guys the PCs downed.

I personally think the best gaming groups are formed from friends and friendship. You need the kind of person thats willing to call or text and ask you out to see a movie or just to hang out. That kind of bond is what will hold a group together over a long Christmas break or an extended period of time if the GM is really busy.

On a personal note: My children are teens, I always shower before a gaming session, I'm careful about odious personal habits while gaming, I'm respectful of other peoples beliefs and life choices, and I'm always looking for a few more people that want friendship and hopefully that will lead to a good game.

Joshua

A former member
Post #: 8
I wish I could have been there but I am fairly certain nobody wanted to be the recipient of the cold that I have so I decided to stay home instead.
A former member
Post #: 16
I wish I could have been there but I am fairly certain nobody wanted to be the recipient of the cold that I have so I decided to stay home instead.

Thanks for letting me know you're interested in pursuing the conversation. You can find a brief overview of what we talked about under the "past meetups" tab. I think it went pretty well - we exchanged a fair number of ideas about game style and philosophy, and I learned quite a bit more about the versions of D&D that followed after AD&D, which was still on the market when I played last.

Josh, I fully agree with your comments about the value of mutual friendship as the basis for a strong RPG table. The best group I ever played with involved friends I had known from 5th or 6th grade onward. With players meeting one another for the first time as adults (or even young adults in the 15-18 age range), things can be a bit more difficult because there isn't that shared history to fall back on. I don't think it's impossible for those friendships to develop, but that kind of trust and esteem needs to be given time and allowed to grow naturally. That's what I hope will happen in my own case now that we're putting roots down in Columbia. Besides, I need all the friends I can get, what with all my old friends scared off by the fact that I'm the target of a vast Russian Mafia/U.S. Government/Extraterrestrial conspiracy and all.

It sounds as if we have some interest in another meetup of this kind. I was kicking around the idea of another, low-key chat some evening in the coming week or next at . . . oh, I don't know . . . the Starbucks at Gervais and Lincoln St. downtown? I'm not a huge Starbucks fan, but I'm having a little difficulty locating other coffeehouses online here. Let me know if that appeals to anybody, or anyone can suggest another likely venue.

M

A former member
I'm sorry I hadn't kept up with this discussion from the begining. I came into it late when I received the e-mail announcing the meetup.

My name is Joshua and I'm an assistant organizer here for our meet-up. I missed your scheduled meet-up, however I hope you'll have another soon so I can participate.

I've been gaming for years, and will play nearly anything. My characters tend to have extravagent backgrounds or be a bit excentric because I love the story and love a game master thats willing to use my background as a launching board for adventures or stories.

I'd have to say I'm a story first type of gamer. I'd rather spend an entire session with the players talking in character even if it accomplished nearly nothing than to hack and slash my way through a random dungeon just because I found it. White Wolfs games are a favorite for me becuase they tend to award EXP per session based on role-playing and not on the number of bad guys the PCs downed.

I personally think the best gaming groups are formed from friends and friendship. You need the kind of person thats willing to call or text and ask you out to see a movie or just to hang out. That kind of bond is what will hold a group together over a long Christmas break or an extended period of time if the GM is really busy.

On a personal note: My children are teens, I always shower before a gaming session, I'm careful about odious personal habits while gaming, I'm respectful of other peoples beliefs and life choices, and I'm always looking for a few more people that want friendship and hopefully that will lead to a good game.

Joshua

I agree with everything you say about games and gamers...I'm a VERY RP kind of person and I like the DM to tell a story and make it seem like you are actually THERE. Unfortunately, in my career (military) it's very hard to stay with a core group of friends as everyone leaves staggering every few years. I too have had a few sessions that were completely RP and we had a GREAT time

I eagerly await our discussion on the details of the (hopefully) upcoming 4th ed game =D
Brian H.
user 9166135
Columbia, SC

It sounds as if we have some interest in another meetup of this kind. I was kicking around the idea of another, low-key chat some evening in the coming week or next at . . . oh, I don't know . . . the Starbucks at Gervais and Lincoln St. downtown? I'm not a huge Starbucks fan, but I'm having a little difficulty locating other coffeehouses online here. Let me know if that appeals to anybody, or anyone can suggest another likely venue.

M

Hi, Mike:

Not sure what part of town you're coming from, but there's a Books-a-Million and Barnes and Noble up in Harbison (26W towards Irmo from Columbia). The Books-A-Million has comfy chairs and tends to be rather low-traffic. There's also a Starbucks on that same strip, but it's a little small (although it does have outside seating).

A former member
Post #: 17

Hi, Mike:

Not sure what part of town you're coming from, but there's a Books-a-Million and Barnes and Noble up in Harbison (26W towards Irmo from Columbia). The Books-A-Million has comfy chairs and tends to be rather low-traffic. There's also a Starbucks on that same strip, but it's a little small (although it does have outside seating).

Brian -

I live downtown off of Taylor Street in the Canal Side Apartments, so it's pretty easy for me to get anywhere - whether it's off of 26W, 12N or elsewhere. I actually considered Books-a-Million on Forest Drive as a good meeting spot, but the one in Harbison would work just as well. We'll see whether or not anybody else shows interest in a follow-up chat. Any times/evenings work best for you?

M

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi all. I've been in gaming for some years and this sounds like an excellent idea! Too bad I didn't know about this site in time for the meeting. Of what I read, I agree strongly and would love to attend a meeting. I'm happy to play most any RPG as the fun of the game usually depends solely upon the GM and the personality of the players. There's also a few card and board games I like to dig out when people want to play something - just not an RPG.

I've been sporadic with gaming over the past decade plus as where I once lived, the very scarce players available were non-committal to any form of regular session and the games would just die off. Now that I'm in Cola, I hope to find an on-going group of players of a similar mentality as myself.

For the record, my gf whom I share a small house with may or may not be interested in playing an rpg, but she's not a total novice and far from the usual ditsy gf who does it just to do something with her bf. She won't care, however, if I go off on my own to play or if we have people over to play.

Also for the record, I have a small collection of tiles, maps, and miniatures for people interested in using visual representations. Personally, I try to limit the use of such things, but I can go either way for gaming.

And about me: I'm 30 y/o and majoring in Mechanical Engineering at USC (so my schedule of availability will vary semester to semester and sometimes day to day). I smoke, drink, and cuss, but do all three with respect to others. We don't even smoke inside at our own house, drink responsibly, and (at least I) can control my potty mouth.

I'm a veteran of the army and have a working knowledge and experience with a wide variety of military grade weapons, so anyone running a game using similar technology may have their hands full, but I make allowances for most game interpretations of these things (though I might take a moment to point out the errors involving the rules I won't argue the GM if he follows them).

Anyway, that's a good deal about myself. I hope to meet some people and join a gaming group in the relative near future.
A former member
Post #: 18
Guy -

Welcome aboard! I'm glad that this discussion thread has been of interest, and that the exchange of opinions and viewpoints here resonates positively with you. As a very recent transplant to Columbia, I too am just getting to know the RPG community here, but things look pretty robust - this meetup group is a good barometer for that alone.

Speaking only for myself, and in terms of a hypothetical game table, I have no problem with alcohol during game sessions so long as minors aren't in the mix and moderation is observed. For the record, my own tastes in that regard run the gamut from decent single malt to Harp, with many grain-and-grape stops in between. I don't object to smoke if it's kept outside. As far as language is concerned, let's just say that now that my wife and I have a toddler in the picture, we're trying to change our favorite epithets to things like "Son of a Biscuit!" and "Cheesy Rice!" We are at best only moderately successful at monitoring ourselves. For me, it's really only an issue if I'm hosting a game at my place.

Based on Saturday's get-together at Barnes & Noble, there seems to be a lot of eagerness to cut to the chase and get a game up and running. I too want to play, but I'm also eager to organize/host more "casual chats" to keep the door open to anyone who wants to explore mutual lines of interest in RPGs without making a hard commitment to a particular campaign.

At present, I've got feelers out to see if anyone is interested in meeting for an hour or two some evening in the next week or so at one of the local Books-a-Million in west Columbia. In large part, the idea is to keep the door open to those who expressed interest in joining us last Saturday but were unable to do so. Let me know if that appeals and what evenings might work best for you and your girlfriend, if she would like to join us. All are welcome.

M.