The Columbia Dungeons & Dragons/Superhero RPG Meetup Group Message Board › Anybody using Pathfinder?

Anybody using Pathfinder?

A former member
Post #: 7
Just wondering whether or not anybody out there has played with the latest Pathfinder ruleset. I saw a few relatively dated mentions on the discussion boards, but nothing really recent. I'm curious to know whether or not it lives up to its billing as a smoother, tighter and more efficient offspring of old school D&D.
A former member
Post #: 37
Yes, our Knoxville 3.5 group switched mid-game to Pathfinder and found the transition easy. It really does help with combat and some other cumbersome rules (like animal companions). It's worth buying if you are a fan of 3.5. Still a lot of work to DM though. I hear 4th ed. is somewhat easier to run a game with. Anything specific you want to know about?
Brian H.
user 9166135
Columbia, SC
Post #: 11
Hi, Michael:

I own a copy of the core rulebook and like what I've seen, but haven't had the chance to play it yet. I'll echo what Don said: if you're committed to 3.5, it's worth having a look at. It spruces up 3.5 quite a bit. But, if you've moved on from 3.5, it probably isn't worth your time or $$. For my part, I own a groaning shelfload of 3.5 books, and don't plan to go with 4E beyond the PHB (for $$ reasons).

But, if I were to run a D&D game, I would definitely use Pathfinder.

If you'd like to have a look, I think local Books-A-Million tend to stock copies (the one in Forest Acres does).
A former member
Post #: 11
Don and Brian -

Thanks for your replies on Pathfinder. I don't have any specific questions, just curious to know whether the combat and spellcasting rules move smoothly. I've got a campaign idea in mind and am just starting to kick around possibilities for which commercially-produced ruleset might fit it best, if any. Generally, I try to go as rules-light as possible. I think I'll take the plunge and pick up Pathfinder - I've heard enough good things to give it a thorough read.

Best -

M
A former member
Post #: 39
Cool. If you need any players, let me know! Yes, combat is definately easier. To sum up, they take all the random situational combat rules like grappling, charging, disarming, etc. and lump them together under Combat Manuevers and share one formula for resolving them. The major change in spells is Cantrips (0-level spells) can be cast at will (still have to memorize, but they never run out). They have been toned down a bit, but at least your wizard won't have to pull out his/her dagger with a sigh and charge in to battle -- they'll always have some magic available. Somewhere I have a conversion guide from 3.5 to Pathfinder on PDF. If I locate it, I'll email you a copy.

Don.
ljlagnese
user 9158011
Irmo, SC
Post #: 2
also that pdf is free t download from Paizo.com

But yes pathfinder is smoother running and actually wants you to play the same class the whole game. So far every game we have played no one has prestiged because all the classes have more than enough qualilty on their own.

We also have an active game on sunday nights which might be looking for another player or two, I will post if group decides more is needed
A former member
Post #: 22
Don, Brian, ljlagnese et. al. -

THanks for everyone's feedback concerning Pathfinder. I've just signed on to a 3.5 campaign which looks like it's really going to take off, so I wouldn't be able to make a hard commitment to another group at present. All the same, I'd be very interested in seeing Pathfinder in action if anybody out there wouldn't mind a spectator from time to time. Yeah, it's an odd request, but I'm a safe, stable, easy-going, professional type of guy who just wants to find a ruleset that fits with a hatching campaign idea for a year or so down the line.

Best -

M
A former member
Post #: 26
I've played some of the stuff from the Pathfinder ruleset. I was running the Rise of the Runelords adventure path a while back and incorporated the base classes from the PathfinderRPG handbook and I really enjoyed the variety that have been added to the base classes (sorcerors with bloodlines, wizards get powers based on the school of magic they specialize in, monks and barbarians get ki and rage points to spend on powers. I'll probably be picking up the Advanced Player's guide at gencon as well. If anyone has room in a PathfinderRPG game please send me an email through the meetup site and hopefully I could join your gaming group if you have space :}.

Jasper
A former member
Post #: 23
If anyone has room in a PathfinderRPG game please send me an email through the meetup site and hopefully I could join your gaming group if you have space :}.

Jasper -

I'm really starting to look seriously at Pathfinder as a potential ruleset for a forthcoming campaign - but we're talking about early 2011, I think. I'll keep you posted.

Mike