Hello all doactors:
The 48 Hour Film project is fast approaching June 18 through June 20th
. I want to take a moment to provide you with some updates, as well as to share the communications that the organizers of the 48 Hour Film project are sending to the team leaders.Sending Messages via [address removed]
Between now and the end of the 48 Hour Film Project on June 20th, we have opened up the group email functionality to allow for cross communication between all members. This means that any member may send an email to [address removed] if they wish to share information and ideas with the rest of the group. It is my hope that opening up this list will encourage others to get involved, share ideas, and coordinate amongst each another in preparation for the upcoming project. To ensure that all the messages that get sent are appropriate and relevant to the upcoming project, the group admins will be approving the messages first.Are you participating in the 48 Hour Film Project?
Currently we have the following doactors signed up to participate in the 48HFP:
* Rosie P Fugate (+2)
* Sean Conlon
* Jonathan Cook
* Susannah Smith
* Bob Garn
* Tito Perez
* Aaron Cox
* David Fugate
* Michael Jordan
* Bonnie Kneece
Nearly twice as many folks have expressed interest in participating in the 48HFP, however, the list above only contains the names I have collected from http://www.meetup.com/doactcrazy/calendar/13268844/
, and http://www.meetup.com/doactcrazy/calendar/13268864/
. Please make sure to sign up for the days you are available so that we know you are coming! Your RSVP is very much appreciated.Securing Shooting Locations
We'd love to compile a short list of shooting locations that can be definitely secured for the film project. This can include properties you own, or even places you work if you have an owner or building manager willing to sign a location release. Susannah Smith has already gotten a head start on this - so she's the primary contact in this regard for everyone's suggestions. Knowing what locations can be used will be essential to the writing process on Friday evening when our writers are pounding out the scripts.We need all actors to confirm
We'll need to assign all of the actors to one of two teams in the upcoming days. Since some of the actors who have expressed interest in participating have yet to sign up at http://meetup.com/doactcrazy
, we are relaxing the deadline a bit in order to give some new actors the opportunity to jump in. So if you know any actors who are available on June 19th, please have them sign up as soon as they can. The new deadline is Monday, June 14th @ midnight.Inviting new members has it's incentives
If you bring new members into the group who sign up at http://meetup.com/doactcrazy
, and any of those members participate in our next project, I'll give you $10 for each new member you've invited who's participating. Also, whoever is responsible for the 100th member to sign up at http://meetup.com/doactcrazy
will get $25 and an insane doactcrazy t-shirt made personally by yours truly, David Plutado Fugate. However, if the 100th member doesn't sign-up by June 18th - then there's no $25 prize.World Class Accommodations (Not Quite)
For those of you coming from Atlanta to participate, you're welcome to bring a blowup mattress if you're planning to stay in the loft overnight. We'll have a few extra blankets and pillows and blowup mattresses here if you need. However, If you're allergic to cats and you're willing to share a hotel room with other folks (potentially strangers), then I'll make arrangements to put you up somewhere nearby. The Movie Screening
The movie screening for our two movie projects will take place on Sunday, June 27 at 1:00 p.m. @
The Plaza, 1049 Ponce De Leon Ave, Atlanta, GA 30318. Please let me know ASAP if you are planning to go, as I would like to bulk buy the tickets ahead of time. Also, it's easier to coordinate rides to Atlanta for all of those coming from Augusta and South Carolina the sooner we have an idea on the turnout for the screening. For those of you who can't make the screening, we'll also have a screening at our loft, here in downtown Augusta, posted on the meetup calendar very soon.
Please direct any questions you have about the upcoming project or the doactcrazy group to me by emailing [address removed], or ask Bonnie at [address removed].
- david plutado fugate
If you are interested in reading the most recent email correspondence from the folks organizing the 48 Hour Film Project, please see the message below.
/******************************** BEGINNING OF EMAIL MESSAGE ********************************/
As the 48 Hour Film Project enters its 10th year, we continue to update and modify our rules. This year there are a few changes.
1. 2010 Genres
We've done our customary genre shake-up. Detective/Cop, Holiday Film, and Superhero have been retired for the year. In their place we've brought back the popular genres Film Noir, Road Movie, and Silent Film. And it wouldn't be the 48 Hour Film Project without those three beloved words: Musical or Western!
Here?s the complete list of genres:
* Buddy Film
* Film de Femme (see below)
* Film Noir
* Musical or Western
* Road Movie
* Sci Fi
* Silent Film
Film de Femme
Never heard of a Film de Femme? That's because we invented it! This genre is specifically designed by the 48HFP to encourage strong roles for females in 48HFP films. A Film de Femme is a film featuring one or more strong female characters. Romantic comedies or "chick flicks" are included in this genre, but are only a subset. What's a strong female character? Think Ellen Page in Juno, Salma Hayek in Frida, Reese Witherspoon in Election, or Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich. Smart and complicated. Try to avoid having a woman doing a man's job like a man would do his job. And contrary to public opinion, strong women characters are not required to kill someone!
2. 2010 Wild Card Genres
After genres have been selected and teams have been released, filmmakers will be given the option to trade in their genre for a Wild Card Genre. Once you switch, you can't switch back! Wild Card Genres will be randomly assigned to each city. See the list of possible Wild Card genres below.
* Adventure Serial
* Dark Comedy
* Foreign Film
* Historical Fiction/Period Piece
* Surprise Ending
* Time Travel Movie or Doppelganger Movie
3. We have increased the camera limit from 2 cameras to 3 cameras. Here is the pertinent rule. ?Rule H: Any type of video or film camera may be used, however, a maximum of only three cameras may be used to shoot footage for use in your film. Sound recorders are allowed in addition to this three camera limit. Cameras used for a purpose other than recording video footage (for example, as props, editing decks, sound recorders, or to record solely behind-the-scenes footage) are allowed in addition to this three camera limit.?
4. While teams are still prohibited form using stock footage as part of their films, we have relaxed the rule regarding 3rd party special effects programs. See Filmmaking Rule E and the FAQ for more info. If you have further questions, please email [address removed].
5. We?re happy to report that once again the 48HFP is partnering with the Screen Actors Guild to allow SAG members to participate in 48HFP films. If you are thinking about using a SAG actor, here?s what you should keep in mind:
* You must complete the SAG Short Film Agreement as modified by the 48HFP Rider (2 copies - both with original signatures)
* You must have your SAG actors complete the SAG Employment Agreement as modified by the Rider
* You must complete the SAG Internet Use Rider for each SAG actor, if you would like to put your film on your personal website for resume purposes only. (Other internet uses will still require permission from SAG.)
* You will have more limited distribution options. For any but the most basic uses, you will need to contact SAG to secure additional rights.
Go to http://www.48hourfilm.com/filmmakers/sag.php
for more information.
6. As a reminder, each team must deliver a Team Leader?s Agreement signed by the team leader to the Kickoff Event. The team leader doesn?t need to be at the Kickoff, but his or her signature does! The Team Leader?s Agreement is at: http://www.48hourfilm.com/filmmakers/documents.php
7. The 48HFP is on Facebook and Twitter? on Facebook, find us at ?48 Hour Film Project?. And for Twitter, look up 48HourFilmProj? that?s us! Become a friend/fan. You can also follow the Atlanta Film Festival @atlfilm365
Good luck on all of your preparations.
48 Hour Film Project
/******************************** END OF EMAIL MESSAGE ********************************/