<!doctype society> Message Board › To silverlight or not to silverlight?

To silverlight or not to silverlight?

Joshua K.
user 13827803
Kennewick, WA
Post #: 2
The scenario is as follows, but please excuse my inability to express said scenario given my limited knowledge of the technologies all you real doctypists live and breathe daily:

I've got a client who currently has a website that makes use of silverlight technology. In fact, the whole site is silver light. No HTML. It has a secure login for his users, which takes them to a lengthy and detailed questionnaire that returns a report of statistics relevant to the user and comparisons to other users.

The landing page has just been redesigned to include basic brochure-like info to educate site visitors and general users regarding the product/service my client and his online tool (the silverlight app) provides. It appears his developer is going include the new home page content into the silverlight site and implement the new style into the old silverlight site. No HTML again.

Now, I would have guessed an HTML home page with the new content and style design with the login to launch the silverlight questionnaire application would have been the more ideal solution, but maybe Im just naive.

Can search engine bots even index silverlight content?
What would you do?
To silverlight or not to silverlight?

Thanks folks.
Jeff B.
jboyus
Kennewick, WA
Post #: 1
First off, wow. Not sure why you would do this after what we have learned from the whole Flash era.

If implemented correctly, yes Silverlight can be indexed by bots. But you have to know what you are doing. It doesn't completely do it out of the box from most XYZ editors.

But here is the REAL kicker. Silverlight's end of life is around the corner for web apps. Microsoft has not come out and said it directly, but they are also not throwing a whole lot of resources at it anymore. This was made apparent at the MIX11 and BUILD conferences. It seems like they have made it strictly into a multimedia programming platform that can span XBOX and WP7. I wouldn't expect any innovations on the web front. So the question is whether or not this client wants new features and continues to support Silverlight. As Microsoft has done in the past, it will most likely support bugs or security vulnerabilities.

Hope this helps. But yes your client should jump ship to HTML5 plus whatver programming language of choice.

-Jeff
ASP.net Developer