This is a wildly popular and fun volunteer activity! On Saturday, January 28, 2012 we made 2,870 sandwiches in just one hour with the help from all the great volunteers!
Any and all donations are welcomed (and remember, any sandwich-making supplies you donate ARE tax-deductible! Just save your receipts and notate that the supplies went to "Sandwiches for Soupmbile").
The supplies we need are:
- Bologna (to ensure consistency, please only bring bologna)
- Cheese (sliced; ideally, the unwrapped individual as this saves time!)
- Plastic / Latex Gloves
- Sandwich bags (Ziploc or Target-brand zipping bags are ideal!)
- Cookies (something like Chips Ahoy, Nilla Wafers, etc.)
- Chips (Tortilla Chips, Doritos, or Fritos; Please NO potato chips as they break too easily)
- When you RSVP, please designate what you will be bringing!
- A cash donation is a very nice option as a grocery run will take place during the sandwich-making for any supplies we are short on.
The goal for each week is make more than 1000 sandwiches. They feed over 500 meals a day and a sandwich is usually included so we are providing about 2-3 days worth of sandwiches.
The cafe provides coffee and iced tea.
This is what you can expect on Saturday:
People start arriving between 10:30 and 11:00. We get the tables set up and around sometime between 11:00 and 11:15 Barbara (the owner of 3025) will give her spiel to all of the volunteers on the proper and legal safety rules for making sandwiches (hair pulled back, gloves on).
Volunteers are welcome to join the "After Party" as we visit one of the local Deep Ellum restaurants for lunch!
The Soupmobile is an organization based out of Deep Ellum that serves over 500 meals a day Monday thru Friday. You can find out more about their operation by going to www.soupmobile.org.
THE MOST IMPORTANT GIFT IS YOURSELF, AND BRINGING ITEMS IS OPTIONAL. HOWEVER, IF YOU’D LIKE TO CONTRIBUTE PLEASE STATE WHAT YOU’D LIKE TO BRING IN YOUR RSVP TO HELP WITH OUR PLANNING OF THE EVENT.