add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

DRAW BY NIGHT Message Board › Children's Book Collaboration

Children's Book Collaboration

A former member
Post #: 6
I had brought up the idea of collaborating on producing a children's book at the last meeting. Each illustrator would contribute a spread in their own style, but the story and characters would stay the same. I was thinking of going with a simple well-known story like a nursery rhyme or children's classic story since the book would have a wide visual range.

The book could be sold online at (or similar site) and the proceeds split between the contributors. First off, I'll say I don't have any expectations on how financially successful a project like this would be. But rather, use this process as an exercise in the steps involved in getting self-published, marketing, collaboration, exposure, portfolio piece etc. Plus, working on one spread is a lot faster and less daunting than producing an entire book solely.

So in essence, it's an art show without the overhead. :)

Coquitlam, BC
Post #: 9
Sounds like a great idea. :D Any ideas on which story? I'll start exploring.
A former member
Post #: 7
Sorry, been caught up in this little Olympics thingy going on. Anyway, I was thinking a popular book. I've recently read Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (waiting for the movie to come out). But I'm thinking those are a bit long? I'd like to not take on something too ambitious the first time around.

i.e. keep it fun. :)
Dimitri K.
user 9559853
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 2
I'm interested on this project too.
Let's talk about it.

My online portfolio:

Coquitlam, BC
Post #: 24
Alice in wonderland is an excellent idea! We could shorten the story dramatically or take an important lesson out of it as in just a small part of the story. I wonder if we'd need to get reprinting rights?
A former member
Post #: 8
Alice in Wonderland was written in 1865, so it's very much public domain. I downloaded it and read it on my iPod with the Stanza app. All modern versions are actually a mash-up between Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (for example the Cheshire Cat doesn't appear in Wonderland) from what I remember.

Anyway, I think we can condense the story down into 8 spreads. Anybody good at editing? :) Any other story ideas?

A 24-page book (books are usually multiples of 8) might look like this:

4 pages for covers
4 pages for inside/outside page (credits etc)
16 pages (8 spreads) for story
Rob Z.
North Vancouver, BC
Post #: 5
I think it would be a great exercise to take part of for practice of technique and to add to one's portfolio.

I'm in!

A former member
Post #: 9
Here's a rough (rough) 24-page layout. I'm not sure about the word count. The story will have to be severely edited (probably taking bits from both Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Maybe this layout has too many words?

The copy needs to be done first so we'll know what to illustrate on each spread. I'm not much of an editor, but I'll take a look.­

Coquitlam, BC
Post #: 33
I thought it was going to be for much younger readers with one or two lines per page, but this is good too.

I'm reading Alice in Wonderland now and will start painting soon, just to get a feel for the story and characters.

I could also try to edit the book although I'm inexperienced at that. :D
A former member
Post #: 10
That was just a text example, but I'm thinking the target age would be 5-9. So yeah, each spread would probably have no more than 50 words (so ignore my first draft). The editing will be crucial, so I'll try and have something to present before our next meeting in March.