Hello drum community!!!
Cool opportunity...Roger Duncan from One World Drums in Calgary is coming to Edmonton on the weekend of November 16-17 to offer workshops on Friday night and a big 'ol drum circle on Saturday night. Woot woot!!
New Note: doors will open at 7pm and tickets ARE available at the door, too.
Saturday night drum circle event:
- On Saturday (Nov. 17), there will be a drum circle and drum performances event from 7:30-10pm. We will start things off with some funky drum performances from local drum groups, but the majority of the evening will be spent with everyone joining in and enjoying a big drum circle. Newbies to advanced welcome.
- The cost is $20 for the evening (and is non-refundable since he's coming from Calgary just for this drum event) - REGISTER EARLY to avoid disappointment - this will be a funky night!
- If you want to attend both Friday and Saturday, there is a special rate for people who want to attend ONE workshop on Friday night and the drum circle on Saturday night: $35.
Also, if you are looking for a new drum, Roger is bringing a bunch of the drums from his latest shipment. If you want to try out a drum during the workshops and circle, you can do that!
Friday night (Nov. 16) Workshops:
In case you didn't see the other Meetup postings about this weekend...Roger is also offering workshops on the Friday night...
- The first workshop (7pm-8pm) is a technique workshop that focuses on teaching people how to make the different sounds with their drums (base, tone, slap). Roger will teach basic rhythms to try out the different sounds and put together a cool piece. This workshop is perfect for people new to drumming, as well as those who want to learn some rhythms for practicing drum technique. Bring your own drum or use one of his.
- The second workshop (8:30-9:30pm) is a rhythm workshop where Roger will teach some new rhythms that people can take away and play at drum circles or with their performance groups. It's geared to new and intermediate level drummers (not advanced, e.g., Bill and Tilo, level drummers :) Bring your own drum or use one of his.
- Each workshop is $20, or $35 for both. Roger's teaching focus is on making everyone feel comfortable, having fun, and creating sweet rhythms together.
- He requires a minimum of 10 people to make the workshops run. There is a maximum number, too, so people should REGISTER EARLY).
- To register, call One World Drums toll-free[masked].
About the Djemb-ology weekend event:
- The event is sponsored by the Theatre Arts Community Outreach Society (TACOS) and Youth Musical Dance Theatre Society who are generously providing us with free space to put on an event to help build the Edmonton drum community.
- The event is put on by Lomani Mundi (an Edmonton-based women's percussion group) who volunteers with TACOS to promote drumming in Edmonton. Lomani Mundi is not receiving any money for providing this event.
- Roger Duncan has drummed for more than 20 years and is passionately committed to promoting the joy of drumming. His business, One World Drum Co., in Calgary is a specialty music school and store. He specializes in all primitive instruments with an emphasis on the djembe from West Africa. His family-run business was established in 1993. He imports his drums from a family-run business, like his own, and ensures high environmental standards and fair trade.
Call One World Drums toll-free[masked] for information or to register.
Josie (from Lomani Mundi)