add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Edmonton Drum Circle Message Board › Where Can I Buy an Affordable Djembe?

Where Can I Buy an Affordable Djembe?

Edmonton, AB
Post #: 1
My daughter wants to purchase her own djembe. Does anyone know where she can buy a West African rope tuned djembe, 12 to 13" head, about 24" high, with a goat skin head? The big thing here is, she's on a budget, and can't afford much more than $150 or so.
Carol F.
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 239
There are a number of music shops in Edmonton you can go to that offer good quality and affordable djembe's in your size and price range. You can also rent to own from Long and McQuade on White Avenue. The only ask for a $20 deposit (no visa), references and id. The charge is $20 per month and a percentage goes toward a purchase if you decide to buy one. It's a great way to pick out the right drum for you or your daughter. I highly recommend going this pleased you are going drum with us. Hope you can make it tonight to Whyte Noise at the Armoury building on 85 ave and Gateway blvd tonight at 6 to 8 pm...:)
user 11363468
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 7
Renting in the meantime is great advice, Carol! It's good to play a djembe for a month and get to know the sound before trying out other djembes.

Also, it looks like Roger from One World Drums in Calgary will be coming to town in the middle of November to offer workshops and bring a shipment of drums. He has amazing insight into what to look for in a great djembe; and, the drums from his store are beautiful. I would suggest waiting to buy until you have a chance to talk to him about djembes and check out his selection. (FYI...I'm not affiliated with One World - I'm not getting a kick back for saying this :) http://www.oneworlddr...­

Once you've rented a djembe for a bit, you may also decide to look online to buy one. I recently bought a set of African drums from Shorty Palmer in the US and I'm thrilled with them (again, no kick-back :) http://www.goatskins....­