addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Moonlight Drum Circle Meetup Message Board › Artisan Ashiko Drum for Sale

Artisan Ashiko Drum for Sale

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello the list!

I am recent to this meetup group, as I just moved to Tucson in May from Louisville, KY. I hope this isn't considered spamming the group, but I brought two ashiko drums with me that were both hand crafted by my friend, artisan drum maker Rich Borthwick of Rich Spirit Drums. One sits in the closet and one goes with me everywhere - I simply don't need two of the same drum, so I'm offering it for sale.

Rich hand mills each piece of reclaimed wood he uses in the drum frames, which he then heads with traditional goatskin that he scrapes, conditions and tunes himself. I have owned his drums exclusively for the past 10 years. I've traveled with them, performed live with them, recorded with them. They hold their tuning superbly and I've found no better ashiko drums yet.

Retail price on this drum is $360. Most folks I know are struggling financially, and as a fellow musician I don't like seeing instruments put away unused, so I'm selling it for $175. It is 24" tall with a traditional Mali weave tuning system. The ashiko is a full-sounding, resonant drum that is the companion to the djembe in the West African cultures from which these originate. Same hand techniques as for a djembe but I find the ashiko has a crisper response that I prefer for stage performance and recording. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this drum; perfectly tuned and ready to rock!

I don't see here where I can attach a picture, so here is a link to my Craigslist ad for the ashiko:
http://tucson.craigsl...­

You may contact me via email: inishmusic@gmail.com and/or text 520-245-1321.

Thanks! And congrats to whomever acquires this awesome drum! ~ Erika