The Dubai Writers' Group Message Board › THE 50 WORD STORY

THE 50 WORD STORY

Will
DubaiFreelance
Dubai, AE
Post #: 6
A great way to tune up when attempting to write a short story is by writing a 50 word short story. It's a good bit of fun and really helps you distill the language you're using to convey a tale, an emotion or whatever in just a couple of paragraphs.

Of course, Hemingway took it a stage further with his legendary six word story: "For Sale: Baby Shoes, Never Worn...."

Post your attempts here......
Leis
user 3232648
Dubai, AE
Post #: 2
Hi Will! Thanks, a great excuse to get some words down! Writing short shorts is my toughest challenge (which is why I ought to try harder and more often). Looks like I'm the first in! Hope there's lots coming...? Here goes:

When the noise and the shaking subsided, his eyes opened to a bright haze. There was no pain. He pushed off the asphalt and found himself suddenly floating above the intersection. Startled, yet strangely unafraid.

Crumpled heaps of metal and crimson stains fading to a dot.

Vibrating harmonies. The light.
Will
DubaiFreelance
Dubai, AE
Post #: 14
Leis - love it! Well done....no prizes here, yet, just for fun...but I can feel an anthology coming on!
Leis
user 3232648
Dubai, AE
Post #: 5
thanks Will, very kind of you!

i must say my lil story is rather lonesome up there... won't any other stories join up??
A former member
Post #: 1
Quite a challenge to follow a great 'little' story like Leis'. But here is mine:

Before, when the suitcases came out of the closet, all the problems would be forgotten. Exotic places, sun-warmed skin, romantic nights, had overcome their differences.

Not this time. Only his clothes were being packed.

The door closed behind him -- the decision had been made.

But it was not hers.
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi,

This looks like a fun challenge. Some great stories are up already. Just thought it should give it a try...

She races to the door at the end of the hall.

Reaching for the lid, trousers around her ankles, she collapses on the seat. Ahhhhh…relief.

Her lower back begins to itch. She awakes, frustrated. Same damn dream.

Struggling with her chin, she buzzes for the nurse. Her diaper needs changing.

Leis
user 3232648
Dubai, AE
Post #: 11
Naughty Shina did a dream story! cheeky, cheeky tongue
Leis
user 3232648
Dubai, AE
Post #: 12
Anya, nicely done!
A former member
A great way to tune up when attempting to write a short story is by writing a 50 word short story. It's a good bit of fun and really helps you distill the language you're using to convey a tale, an emotion or whatever in just a couple of paragraphs.

Of course, Hemingway took it a stage further with his legendary six word story: "For Sale: Baby Shoes, Never Worn...."

Post your attempts here......

Short fiction! checkout my similar blog www.75wordstory.blogspot.in ---> every wed/thursday i send emails / update of FB Short fiction group on the themes for the weekend and people send in their stories. its fun to write and stay in touch with it!
Fareeha S.
fareehas
Dubai, AE
It was finally the end of the horrifying darkness, the abyss that filled her whole being. The distant lights slowly carried her to a different level of oneness of self. The loneliness erupting into some burned down ashes, her world welcoming the new beginning.

An illuminated brand new day indeed!