addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

NYC Freegan Meetup Message Board Freegan.info's NYC Dumpster Diving Meetup Discussion Forum › I was told yesterday that dumpster diving is illegal

I was told yesterday that dumpster diving is illegal

A former member
Post #: 7
I was told that people are being arrested in NYC for taking trash off the street as a "quality-of-life" offense. A quick internet search shows that generally speaking, dumpster diving is not illegal; my question is whether anyone here has been arrested or warned about their dumpster diving activity.
Anne
user 6145311
New York, NY
Post #: 81
I think the article to which you are referring was about people taking appliances, i.e. refrigerators etc off the street. I don't think taking food, clothes etc. out of dumpsters is illegal. If it was a lot of homeless people would be in jail.
Nola R.
user 13552751
Bronx, NY
Post #: 3
Only collecting garbage by hand, hand truck or shopping cart is legal. Some people go around with a truck and collect refrigerators, washing machines and other large appliances, fix them and sell them second hand. And that's illegal because it interferes with a business transaction. Large things like that are sometimes picked up by a private companies contracted by the city. Or private building owners. Though you can still take any of these things off the curb so long as you don't haul it away in a truck of other vehicle.
Garry
Timeless-Photos
New York, NY
Post #: 12
I was told by a law firm through my Prepaid Legal Plan that yes, dumpsters do belong to the private companies that pay for them, and they could ask the police to arrest you if they caught you in the act.

They told me that what is put on the sidewalks is a different matter and that I should not have legal problems with that because it no longer belongs to the company who put it there. Please read related links below:

Dumpster Diving | Facebook
Pair arrested after 'Dumpster diving' | hometownlife.com | the Observer & Eccentric ... NYC Man Fined $2000 For Taking Discarded Garbage - wcbstv.com ...
www.facebook.com/pages/Dumpster-Diving­/327784574512 - Cached
Lucia C.
Ms.Felice
New York, NY
Post #: 74
I guess they could ask to arrest you - because you would be putting items to good use, while they instead hurry to toss them in landfills...

I risk for Mother Nature and I could care less...
A former member
Post #: 12
Ok, a few weeks ago I had some interaction with a CVS manager. I was round back and saw a clear garbage bag full of cereal and other edible foods and 2 humidifiers. I put items in my trunk of car and then the manager came out. He said "What are you doiing"? ..I replied "Seeing if yesterdays newspaper was in dumpster"......He said "Thats not the report I just got....Doing a little dumpster diving"? He then was dialing a # on cell phone (police?). I said, "Please don't call police, Ill put stuff back".......He took a pic or me next to my car and wrote down my license plate #. I made the mistake of doing this in daytime. Also, I think because every CVS dumpster has a large, blue sticker stating "Private property, No Tresspassing, Violators will be prosecuted".....They can possible call police and can give a tresspassing ticket to me. I doubt that theres "Dumpster Divers Prisons". lol I think he put a little note about me in his "Most Wanted Dumpster Divers File" and if I do go back and dive there and he sees its me, most likely he'll call police. Im not going back to that one!!
QueenBoadicea
queenboadiceaofthe...
New York, NY
Post #: 31
Ok, a few weeks ago I had some interaction with a CVS manager. I was round back and saw a clear garbage bag full of cereal and other edible foods and 2 humidifiers. I put items in my trunk of car and then the manager came out. He said "What are you doiing"? ..I replied "Seeing if yesterdays newspaper was in dumpster"......He said "Thats not the report I just got....Doing a little dumpster diving"? He then was dialing a # on cell phone (police?). I said, "Please don't call police, Ill put stuff back".......He took a pic or me next to my car and wrote down my license plate #. I made the mistake of doing this in daytime. Also, I think because every CVS dumpster has a large, blue sticker stating "Private property, No Tresspassing, Violators will be prosecuted".....They can possible call police and can give a tresspassing ticket to me. I doubt that theres "Dumpster Divers Prisons". lol I think he put a little note about me in his "Most Wanted Dumpster Divers File" and if I do go back and dive there and he sees its me, most likely he'll call police. Im not going back to that one!!

Give the location of this store and physical description of this cheap, vindictive, punitive dog in the manger. I want to be able to avoid this place, too!
Sean
smaley
Monroe, NY
Post #: 36
Sounds like an opportunity for a flash mob and publicity stunt.... This guy is such an asshole, he'd rather throw it out than help a food kitchen, etc.
QueenBoadicea
queenboadiceaofthe...
New York, NY
Post #: 32
Yeeeess. Let's have someone take his picture and put it on YouTube. See how he likes being treated as if he's a criminal.
Marianna
user 12275449
Germantown, TN
Post #: 16
Like the idea!