addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 5
I know most of you already know this, but if you get ALOT of some food that is an amount that is too much for you to use for yourself, give away the extra. If you don't throw anyone that would want what you have, just post in on Craigslist "Free" section. Last night I got a big garbage bag full of bagel (Only bagels were in bag, no trash!)I kept a dozen for me and gave a big bag to 4 different people.
QueenBoadicea
queenboadiceaofthe...
New York, NY
Post #: 26
Here's something I want to share. I found a bunch of kale just lying on the sidewalk yesterday. I wondered where it had come from (the local greenmarket doesn't open until Saturday) but I'm not one to ask too many questions when it comes to unexpected food bounties. So I scooped it up, found a plastic bag somewhere and took it home.

Never having had or cooked kale before, I looked up a recipe online and cooked it the very same night. The darker greens are said to be more nutritious and have more flavor than the paler ones like cabbage and lettuce. When boiled down, kale looks, smells and tastes a lot like spinach. If you find that taste too strong, the addition of raisins and garlic in this recipe alleviates that harshness rather well.

Garlicky Kale (makes 6 servings)

Ingredients:

2 bunches kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped
3 c. water
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. olive oil
½ c. golden raisins
¼ c. pitted ripe olives, sliced
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil.
2. Stir in kale.
3. Cover.
4. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until almost tender.
5. Drain and set aside.
6. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook garlic in oil for 1 minute.
7. Stir in the raisins, olives, salt and pepper flakes.
8. Cook 1 minute longer.
9. Stir in kale.
10. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender.