NYC Freegan Meetup Message Board › Article: How I Survived Breaking Up With My Car

Article: How I Survived Breaking Up With My Car

David
FuturePrimitive
Larchmont, NY
Post #: 2
How I Survived Breaking Up With My Car

Blurb:

"After having driven a few times in Seattle, driving seems not only more expensive, but also more stressful, and, in the city, rarely faster. And in an attempt to achieve entirely free transportation, riding my bike has become a means to an end rather than simple recreation. As a result, these days I get a lot more incidental exercise (and a lot fewer drive-through burgers). I don’t miss that car—it was no 1989 Maxima—but surprisingly, after more than three months without it, I find I don’t miss cars in general."

This article resonates with me as someone who is surviving having given up my car.

And I'm reminded of the book by Bianca Mugyenyi and Yves Engler, Stop Signs: Cars and Capitalism on the Road to Economic, Social and Ecological Decay, and their shrewd essay, There’s no such thing as a green car.
GramercyGal
GramercyGal
New York, NY
Post #: 165
I recently reads this article: http://grist.org/citi...­ .... And forwarded it to Mayor Mike asking him to consider making Manhattan a car free zone! ('cept for taxis, buses and vital city services)
Haven't heard back from him yet! LOL I'll keep you posted!

David
FuturePrimitive
Larchmont, NY
Post #: 3
thanks for sharing the Grist piece, GramercyGal.

good luck with Mayor Mike!