NYC Freegan Meetup Message Board › New Meetup: Freegan Meeting and Freeganism 101

New Meetup: Freegan Meeting and Freeganism 101

Madeline
madinelson
Brooklyn, NY
Announcing a new Meetup for NYC Freegan Meetup!

What: Freegan Meeting and Freeganism 101

When: Monday, September 6, 2010 7:30 PM

Where: Sakia Atrium
42 nd street 160 park Avenue
New York, NY 10017

Join us for an organizational meeting to report on working group activities and discuss and decide on policies and activities. Meetings are for freegan.info volunteers and people interested in volunteering and boy oh boy, do we need your help!!

At 9pm, we will end our business meeting, and have a brief introductory discussion about freeganism. Newcomers are always welcome and encouraged to attend our full meeting, but if you just want an introduction to freeganism, you can come just for the Freeganism 101 discussion.

After, we will walk a few blocks to join other, less involved people to explore the area’s wasted food and other goods (see trash tour event already announced.)
This event is NOT open to media.

RSVP to this Meetup:
http://www.meetup.com...­
QueenBoadicea
queenboadiceaofthe...
New York, NY
Post #: 23
I went dumpster diving on my own on Wednesday, September 1st. I was in the city at an evening engagement. When it let out around 10:30 p.m., I decided to troll a couple of my usual spots. Upon arrival at Trader Joe's, I met a couple of helpful teenagers who were also dumpster diving. They wondered if I was part of the freegan group (How about that? They'd heard of us!) and directed me to a lovely large cache of eggs. Excellent!

While we were chatting and exchanging "gifts", we noticed Trader Joe's employees handing large bags of food to five people, three men and two pre-teens, who then loaded the food into a van. The two teens with me told me that this was something Trader Joe's did every week. They also said that the employees of the store would be more than happy to give out more food. All we had to do was pretend to be a charity. Simply by writing a letter and mailing it to them, we could make an arrangement to have them give us the food instead of simply digging through the garbage.

While that was a very enticing and agreeable proposition, it seemed slightly shady to me. Isn't there a law against pretending to be a charitable organization if you're actually not? Then again, if we gathered the food for a soup kitchen--something mentioned by a group member when we were on a picnic a couple of months ago--then it might not be an entirely fraudulent claim.

If freegan members were aware of this offer from Trader Joe's already, I apologize for wasting time and space informing you about it. If not, then this might be something we could investigate.
A former member
Post #: 1
Announcing a new Meetup for NYC Freegan Meetup!

What: Freegan Meeting and Freeganism 101

When: Monday, September 6, 2010 7:30 PM

Where: Sakia Atrium
42 nd street 160 park Avenue
New York, NY 10017

Join us for an organizational meeting to report on working group activities and discuss and decide on policies and activities. Meetings are for freegan.info volunteers and people interested in volunteering and boy oh boy, do we need your help!!

At 9pm, we will end our business meeting, and have a brief introductory discussion about freeganism. Newcomers are always welcome and encouraged to attend our full meeting, but if you just want an introduction to freeganism, you can come just for the Freeganism 101 discussion.

After, we will walk a few blocks to join other, less involved people to explore the area’s wasted food and other goods (see trash tour event already announced.)
This event is NOT open to media.

RSVP to this Meetup:
http://www.meetup.com...­

QueenBoadicea
queenboadiceaofthe...
New York, NY
Post #: 24
I couldn’t make the feast because I was feeling under the weather. But here are two dishes I cooked from food found while dumpster diving. Vegans and vegetarians, avert your eyes!shock

Breast of Chicken En Papillote (makes 6 servings)
En papillote means roughly “baked in a bag.” This is breast of chicken baked in aluminum foil.

Ingredients:

3 chicken breasts, halved
Chicken broth or lightly salted water
¼ c. butter
2 tbsp. flour
½ c. milk
½ c. dry white Bordeaux wine
1 egg yolk, beaten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Pinch of mace or nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
¼ c. finely chopped mushrooms
1 tsp. chopped chives

1. Place the chicken breasts in a small kettle.
2. Add chicken broth barely to cover.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat.
5. Cover and simmer gently until the meat is tender, twenty-five to forty minutes, depending on the size of the breasts.
6. Remove the chicken from the broth and cool.
7. Carefully remove the skin and the meat from the bones.
8. Preheat oven to hot (400°F).
9. Cut six pieces of aluminum foil large enough to make an envelope for each breast half.
10. Spread the foil with half the butter.
11. In a saucepan, melt the remaining butter.
12. Add the flour.
13. Stir with a wire whisk until blended.
14. Meanwhile, bring the milk, wine and ½ cup of the chicken broth to a boil.
15. Add all at once to the butter-flour mixture, stirring vigorously with the whisk until the sauce is thickened and smooth.
16. Add the egg yolk lightly beaten with a little of the hot sauce, stirring gently until thickened. Do not let boil.
17. Add the seasonings.
18. Stir in the mushrooms and chives.
19. Place half a chicken breast in the center of each square of aluminum foil.
20. Spoon some sauce over the top.
21. Fold the edges of the foil.
22. Seal tightly by crimping the edges.
23. Arrange on baking sheet.
24. Bake ten minutes.
25. Serve wrapped in the foil.

This is taken from The New York Times Cook Book by Craig Claiborne

Sautéed Shrimp with Broccoli (makes 4 servings)

Ingredients:

1 lb. raw shrimp
½ tsp. ginger juice (see note)
3 tsp. cornstarch
1 small bunch broccoli
5 tbsp. peanut oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. granulated sugar
2 tsp. sake or dry sherry
1 tbsp. water

1. Shell and devein the shrimp.
2. Combine the ginger juice with two teaspoons of the cornstarch.
3. Add to the shrimp, stirring until the shrimp are coated.
4. Let stand five minutes.
5. Separate the broccoli into small flowerets.
6. Drop into boiling water.
7. Simmer briefly, until crisp and tender.
8. Drain and set aside.
9. Heat the oil in a skillet or wok.
10. Add the shrimp.
11. Cook over high heat, stirring and shaking the skillet, until the shrimp turn pink.
12. Add the broccoli, salt, sugar and sake.
13. Continue to cook, stirring, until all the ingredients are coated with oil.
14. Combine the remaining cornstarch with the water.
15. Add it, stirring.
16. When thickened, serve hot.

Note: Slice fresh ginger and put it in a garlic press. Squeeze hard to extract the juice.

My notes: Not having peanut oil on hand, I used the oil residue that flows to the tops of certain peanut butters that I keep in my cupboard. Not having sake or sherry, I simply used dry red cooking wine. I also substituted ginger powder for ginger juice. Remember, don’t be afraid to experiment!

This is taken from The New York Times International Cook Book by Craig Claiborne.