The Den Bosch Dutch Language Meetup! Message Board › Check here for a discussion of useful Dutch words and phrases (Feel free to

Check here for a discussion of useful Dutch words and phrases (Feel free to ad your own questions + comments)

A former member
Post #: 15
Gewoon (adj) 1. usual, regular, customary, ordinary. in zijn gewone doen zijn be oneself; zijn gewone gang gaan go about one's business, carry on as usual; 2 common: dat is gewoon - that's natural; 3 ordinary, common (plain): het gewone leven everyday life: de gewone man the common man.

Deze definitie komt uit de 'The New Rutledge Dutch Dictionary'.
A former member
Post #: 16
Gewoon also means - just. For example, Gewoon komen, just come. Gewoon ik, just me. Gewoon een salade just a salad.
A former member
Post #: 17
Verwachten - to expect.

Voorbeeld (example) - Ik verwacht een telephontje, I expect a call. Ik verwacht een leuke baan te vinden, I expect to find a great job. Ik verwact hem te zien, I expect to see him.
Sarah
Bookguide
Wijchen, NL
Post #: 1
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Gewoon also means - just. For example, Gewoon komen, just come. Gewoon ik, just me. Gewoon een salade just a salad.

Unusually in Dutch, there is also a special adjecive form of this word, 'gewoonlijk', which means usually, ordinarily. Usually, however, I use the word 'meestal' in this context smile Or you will hear 'normaal gesproken, ik...' = 'Usually, I ...'

'Gewoontjes' means plain, everyday, nothing special, and is often used to express slight disappointment that something wasn't as good as expected, e.g. 'Ik vond haar jurk een beetje gewoontjes' = 'I thought her dress was nothing special'.
Sarah
Bookguide
Wijchen, NL
Post #: 2
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Verwachten - to expect.

Voorbeeld (example) - Ik verwacht een telephontje, I expect a call. Ik verwacht een leuke baan te vinden, I expect to find a great job. Ik verwact hem te zien, I expect to see him.

And don't forget, 'in verwachting' means pregnant, expecting a baby. The word 'zwanger' was slightly impolite in the past, but is now also commonly used.
A former member
Post #: 24
Gerucht - (het) rumour.

(voorbeeld) het geruct gaat dat........ there is a rumour that........

(voorbeeld) dat zijn maar geruchten.............it is only hearsay.
A former member
Post #: 25
Aanpassen (verb)
1) try on, fit on: een nieuwe jas aanpassen...........try on a new coat.
2) to modify (to), adjust (to), fit (to): de lonen zullen opnieuw aangepast worden........the wages will be adjusted.
A former member
Post #: 26

Voorzien (vb)
1. forsee, anticipate: dat was te voorzien.........that was to be expected.
A former member
Post #: 28
Beste Marjory,

Bedankt voor de les gisteren. Ik heb een artikel in de AD vanoctend gelezen. Er zijn een paar dingen die ik heb niet begrepen. een paar dingen die ik niet heb begrepen. (subclause all verb to the end0

Ook, ik heb een nieuw Suske en Wiske gekockt!(starting with Also, followed by a comma, is English. In Dutch you incorporate the ook into the sentence. E.g. Ook heb ik een .... of: Verder heb ik ook een .....
spelling: vaocHtend/gekocHt

Goed weekend,

Sam