This is a place holder for a July 4th weekend trip to Snowfield Peak and surrounding peaks. This trip report will give you a good idea of what I have in mind.
The Snowfield Peak area is great because it gives us lots of options.
July 3 –Meetup, review plan, gear check
• Meet at Colonial Creek Campground around 7pm
July 4 - Hike In & Setup Base Camp
• Start at Pyramid Lake trailhead @ 1100’. Arrive ~7am.
• Hike on trail 2.1 miles to Pyramid Lake @ 2600’
• Hike off trail to base camp @ 6000’ base of Colonial Glacier (5.2 miles 4900’ from trailhead) ~ 8 hours
• Setup base camp
• If time allows scout route to Snowfield and/or climb Pyramid Peak
July 5 - Snowfield & Paul Bunyan
• Leave base camp at sunrise
• Hike to Snowfield Peak summit via West ridge 3rd class (2.5 miles 2400’ gain from base camp) ~ 4 hours
• Hike to Paul Bunyan summit via SW route 3rd class (2.5 miles 2000’ loss 1000’ gain from Snowfield) ~ 4 hours
• Hike back to base camp (1 mile 1400’ loss from Paul Bunyan) ~ 2 hours
July 6 - Colonial Peak & Hike Out
- Depending on how we feel we can do Colonial, or Pyramid, or Pinnacle , or just...
- Hike out
- Ice cream and a beer!
This is an advanced trip. You need to be experienced with glacier travel, crevasse rescue, and scrambling up and down 3rd/4th class rock. I am going to limit group size to 6 people.