August 16, 2014 · 10:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
Rare opening at an amazing 40-year old coop; this isn't an intentional community, but it is self-governing and self-managed. These folks pioneered artists' live-work cooperatives in the East Bay. They've worked out many governing kinks, and have created common gardens and porches in the middle of industrial E'ville. As part of a deal with the city, in exchange for their original CDBG grant/loan, members give art classes in the public schools. All members must income-qualify at move-in, similar to Mariposa Grove and Berkeley Cohousing.
The 45th Street Artists Cooperative in Emeryville HAS A LIVE/WORK STUDIO FOR SALE!
This unit must be owner-occupied by artists; it is not a day studio. Applicants must be working artists and meet Emeryville low to moderate income qualifications, with annual income less than $32,750 to $101,000, depending on household size (specific financial details available on the website).
1220 Floor Square Feet (1730 total)
Buy in cost: $170,242.38
Additional Monthly Assessment: $841.85 + utilities
Move in date: December 1,2014
- Ground Floor: (1,220 sq feet) has main entrance with kitchen, dining room, work studio, bathroom (with small shower), office (or second bedroom) and storage loft over interior building hallway.
- Second story loft includes master bedroom and bathroom (with tub).
- 2 entry doors: 1 interior, 1 exterior to Holden Street
- Special features: 2 sets French doors (1 on lower level, 1 on upper level with balcony and rails
- 10 new double-glazed skylights (7 operable and screened)
- Warm floors (hydronic radiant heating system on both levels operated by an "on demand" water and floor combination boiler.
- Lower level with concrete floor; upper level bamboo wood floors.
- Interior sheer walls with insulation and soundproofing.
- Restructured roofline over studio loft with concrete & steel.
- Kitchen with appliances and cabinets (stove not included).
- Work sink
- All built-in cabinets
- Utilities: gas and electric, 110 & 220 volt
- Off-street parking
- Handicapped accessible
(to compare a barebones unit offered in the same community last year, see the previous listing)
Studio will be available for viewing for two weekends:
- August 16 (RSVP on this page) & 17
- August 23 & 24
Viewing Hours: Saturday 10am - 2pm and Sunday 12 - 4pm
Please note the following dates:
- Application deadline: September 4, 4pm (in office, not postmarked)
- Interviews: September 3 - October 2 (applicant must be available for one of these dates)
- Community Reception: October 26 (applicant must be available)
For more information, visit the website:
Right: James Morris, ceramic sculpture artist, at work at home in the community.