Stuart Ritchie, A PhD Psychology student at The University of Edinburgh, addresses some of the most controversial questions surrounding human intelligence.
You can expecty him to address the following questions: Does intelligence exist, and if so, does it matter? Can it be measured using IQ tests? Is intelligence in the genes, and if it is, can we still do anything to improve it? Are there group differences in IQ?
In preparation for our AGM on Monday 4th March 2013, 7.30pm-9.30pm at the Mercure Hotel on Princes Street, we’d very much like to appeal for new volunteers to come forward. Please note that we intend to keep the formal business of the AGM short, so that we get on with the business of enjoying an entertaining presentation from our guest speaker Stuart Ritchie – so do come along!
Do also consider volunteering, you don’t need a huge amount of time to make a difference, just a commitment to our Humanist values and a willingness to get involved and do something.
* Could you help us to run the local group and organise a programme of speakers and events?
* Do you have an understanding of figures and spreadsheets? How about volunteering as our Treasurer?
* Could you write-up our meetings to increase our reach by providing content for our website, social networks, local newsletter and magazine?
* Would you feel comfortable standing-up and chairing our meetings and discussions? We need a new Convenor.
* Perhaps you could help minute our committee meetings and help with some general admin?
* Could you help us to be a focus for practical local humanist activity?
* Could you enable our members to meet socially and discuss relevant issues?
* How about helping us to support national campaigns; and to attract and retain new members?
In particular we are eager to hear from anyone who might consider serving on the local committee for the year ahead? The committee meets quarterly, and our meetings are both interesting and sociable, and the intention is to break down and share the work as much as possible.
We are looking for:
* A Convenor
* A Treasurer
* A Secretary
* A Membership Development Officer
* Student Liaison
* Ordinary Members of the committee (to share the load)
You don’t need to be on the committee to help us with the following:
* Media and Comms Volunteer
* Pub Host
* “Meeters and greeters” at our monthly “First Monday” meetings and / or at our film nights and other events (this could be a more adhoc role if it was shared by a few people)
I can email you more information if you are interested in any of the above (or something else that we haven’t yet thought of!), and I would be more than happy to discuss any notes of interest without any obligation to volunteer, so please give me a call or drop me an email today.
You don’t even need to serve on the committee to help, if you have some time on your hands, or a skill that you’d be happy to share, please let me know.
On behalf of the local group committee.
The Mercure Hotel is situated between M&S and Jenners at the Scots Monument end of Princes Street.
After our talks we go around the corner to the Abbotsford Bar to continue any discussions and to socialise.