The Edmonton Entrepreneur Meetup Group Message Board › What are you doing?

What are you doing?

Kelly K.
user 4809340
Group Organizer
Edmonton, AB
Hey there,

Hope you are doing well.
Just wondering what you might be doing to push your business along?
Is this a slower or busier time of year for your business?
What is the number one obstacle you are having with moving your business to the next level?
Over the years I have used many different methods to gain more business and get more people to call me.  Three of these stick out in my mind as far superior to other methods of building business.
First was getting off my butt and making cold calls to as many people as I could in one day.  This process only took about a day of my time and yet brought in thousands and thousands of dollars of business over a 5 year period.
The key to this was to have a very well rehearsed script and only call businesses that would use my services time and time again.  Call once, build the relationship, and have the phone ringing.
What can you do to market yourself to companies that would either use your services or use refer your services over and over again?
Here are a few ideas:
Beauty salons can call on people that sell wedding dresses and grad dresses.
Financial planners can call on accountants, lawyers, real estate agents, and mortgage brokers.
Deck builders can work with landscaping companies.
Weight loss companies can also deal with people that sell wedding dresses and grad dresses.
Photographers can work with many different companies depending on the niche the photographer is in.

Try to think of the people that are part of your broader niche and are complimentary to you but non competitive to you.
Second
The second thing I have done to have the most success is having a website.  Not just any website but one that would get traffic.  How do you get traffic?
You need to be found in the search engines for the keywords that are part of your business.  For us that will almost always include the word Edmonton.  Edmonton movers, Edmonton real estate agents, Edmonton plumbers, etc...
To find out what people are typing into google use the google keyword tool.  Go here.
Find the keywords that people are using to find your competition then use those keywords in your website.  Use the keywords and variations of those keywords in your title tags, H1 to H3 tags, at the beginning and end of each article you write, and in other articles on your site pointing to this article.
Then write an article everyday for the next 30 days and after that at least once per week.  Interlink your articles to each other.
Now get links to your site.  30% of those links should include your keyword phrase, 20% should be a variation of your keyword, and the other 50% can be something like click here, or go here, or see this, or whatever.  This is based on some of the latest updates of Google, but could change in the next month or two.
In doing this myself my site went from about 40 unique visitors per month to 700 unique visitors per month in about 45 days.  With a 4% conversion.  Giving me 28 clients per month.
Third
The third thing that worked best for me was networking.  Building relationships with people that would get stronger after each meeting to the point where people would use my services, but more importantly they would refer me to their clients.  This was a big one for me and could be for you as well.
We are having another meeting this Monday at the Bogani cafe.  Coffee/tea is great, the conversations are always enlightening, and who knows, maybe you will build that one relationship you need to grow your business further.
Look forward to seeing you at http://www.meetup.com/edmontonentrepreneur/­
Thanks,
Kelly