Emerging Church Discussion Group Message Board › NC/SC Events in 2008

NC/SC Events in 2008

Steve K.
sknight
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 176
Send an Email Post a Greeting
FYI -- These are the events that took place in 2008 ...

February 1-2, 2008 - Brian McLaren in Charlotte, NC (Area 15) - Everything Must Change Tour 2008 - Register online now! ($20 off discount code available - contact me for more info)

February 18-20 - Non-Militaristic Bootcamp of Friendship with Doug Pagitt and Tim Conder in Winston-Salem, NC - FREE seminar for emerging church planters (contact Zach Roberts to RSVP)

March 3-5 - Tony Jones in Asheville, NC - CBF "True Survivor" conference

April 11-13 - The Institute for Servant Leadership's 2008 Annual Conference: "Practicing Peace: Creative Responses to Violence" featuring Sister Helen Prejean, Walter Wink, James Carroll, Mpho Tutu, and others; in Hendersonville, NC (at Kanuga Conference Center)

June 29 - Stanley Hauerwas at Renovatus Church in Charlotte (not that we want to encourage anyone to join the "Hauerwasian Mafia", but Hauerwas is always fun and interesting to listen to)

June 30-July 5 - Cornerstone Festival in Bushnell, Illinois; featuring seminars by Charlotte Cohort "Resident Emerging Theologian" Anthony Smith (a.k.a. Postmodern Negro), as well as Miroslav Volf, Shane Claiborne, Karen Sloan, and many others

July 1-5 - Church Unbound Conference (primarily for Presbyterian/Emergent folks) at Montreat Conference Center, Montreat, NC; Speakers include Shane Claiborne, Karen Sloan, Nanette Sawyer, John Franke, and others

July 22 - Jesus For President Book Tour with Shane Claiborne, Chris Haw, and special guests; in Raleigh-Durham, NC (First Baptist Church)

July 29 - "Church Basement Tour" featuring Tony Jones, Doug Pagitt, and Mark Scandrette; in Charlotte, NC (Portico Church/Johnston Memorial Presbyterian in NoDa)

July 30 - "Church Basement Tour" featuring Tony Jones, Doug Pagitt, and Mark Scandrette; in Raleigh, NC (New Community Church)

August 4 - Justice Kitchen dinner party/cooking class with Brooke and Jason Evans; in Gastonia, NC (at the Knights house)

August 8 - William Paul Young, author of The Shack, two private meetings (lunch and evening) in Charlotte, NC - contact Steve Knight for more details

August 10 - William Paul Young, author of The Shack, speaking at Grace Community Church in Greensboro, NC, in both services - 9:25 a.m. and 11 a.m.

September 12-15 - World Vision Experience: AIDS at St. John's Episcopal Church in Charlotte, NC

October 3-4 - Outside the Gate 2008 at Monroe Christian Worship Center in Monroe, NC

October 17-18 - ConvergeSouth­ at NC A&T State University in Greensboro, NC

October 17 - Art * Music * Justice Tour with Derek Webb, Sandra McCracken, Charlie Peacock, Sara Groves, and Brandon Heath at Crossroads Bible Church in Denver, NC

October 22-24 - 2008 Emergent Theological Conversation: Reclaiming Paul (subtitled "The Apostle in the Emerging World") at Jacob's Well Church in Kansas City, Missouri

October 31-November 2 - Emergent Southeast Regional Gathering at Disciples' Fellowship in Birmingham, Alabama. This is going to be a laid-back, informal, un-conference type of atmosphere for individuals and families (bring the kids!). Add your name to the "Participants" page on the wiki site if you plan to come!

November 15-17 - Lansing Lee Conference with Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan at Kanuga Conference Center in Hendersonville, NC

November 16-22 - National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week

November 23 - Derek Webb at Renovatus­ in Charlotte

November 28 - Make Something Day

December 1-2 - Peter Rollins at Wake Forest University Divinity School in Winston-Salem

December 5-6 - The Great Emergence National Event in Memphis, Tennessee
A former member
Post #: 33
awesome, thanks steve-o for the update.
Fred S.
user 2639233
Rock Hill, SC
Post #: 12
Looks good.

McLaren is going to be at BJU on Sept. 20 right? :)
A former member
Post #: 10
Steve,

Are these events we need to sign up for... other than ACRI... or are they appearances. Are there other details. I told my husband that I would be seeing Brian McLaren this year... Now it seems even more possible than I realized!!
Steve K.
sknight
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 178
Sorry I don't have more details on exact location, cost of events, etc. I'll post them as I find them out.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brian goes into the "lion's den" (as they say) of BJU wink
A former member
Post #: 8
Thanks for the information Steve. I will pencil these in on my calendar and see which ones I can attend. I am very curious to see where Brian McLaren will be in Greenville. I grew up there in BJU territory, leave near there as well, looks like we will be serving with a ministry there ... haven't found a whole lot of people having the conversation, so it will be interesting to plug in.
tripp
user 3332644
Redondo Beach, CA
Post #: 10
The Tony Jones and Scot McKnight visit is a conversation weekend and their title is "Keeping Jesus Revolutionary." It runs from 7-9 (and then an outing with Scot and Tony for all NC cohort people) on Friday and 10-5 on saturday. I am pretty sure it is 30 bucks for non-students, but I helped organize it so all cohort friends should not let the registration be a reason not to come. On Saturday there will be two 2 hour break out sessions in which the groups get an open dialog with either Tony or Scot before lunch and then the other afterwards. Any way email me if you have questions. tripp.fuller@gmail.com

Ohh and Leonard Sweet will be in Greensboro April 13-15. That is all I know about that for now.
pax
tripp
tripp
user 3332644
Redondo Beach, CA
Post #: 13
Keeping Jesus Revolutionary with Tony Jones and Scot McKnight is now free for everyone who comes.
If you are a cohort type email me and i'll invite you to drinks with tony and scot friday night or saturday for din din.
Steve K.
sknight
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 228
Hey folks,

I've updated this posted with the most recent upcoming events information. Keep checking back on this one, too, as I'll be updating it whenever I hear about interesting events in the region (or nationally as they pertain to Emergent).