Calgary & Area English Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Face wrinkles, black buildup

Face wrinkles, black buildup

A former member
Post #: 1
I'm looking for some fellow bulldog owner feedback. Kiwi has been to 3 different vets and on every medication they can think of and she still has a bad buildup of black chunks in her face wrinkles on a daily basis. I wash her face every night, I've tryed monistat cream (should have seen the look on the pharmacists face when a man asked for monistat for his dogs wrinkles...). I've googles it and am now even trying carrots in her food (Ancana fish blend) because there were a bunch of posts about the same condition and it helping. I figured, they're carrots, won't hurt her anyway. Just wondering if anyone else has had any success treating this. It doesn't seem to cause her any discomfort thankfully, but it doesn't look or smell very good. Any feed back is appreciated, cheers.
Michael and A.
user 11628295
Calgary, AB
Post #: 15
You could also try adding acidophilus to her diet if you are sure it is yeast. We give both of our dogs acidophilus everyday (or every other day) and have had no trouble with yeast buildups. (if you do start this remember to get the active cultures, if you have to store it in the fridge then it is the live and correct one.)

Again I still suggest that you try using a 50:50 or 30:70 vinegar:water solution to clean the wrinkles, if you are sure it is yeast, since the acid will kill surface yeast.

I would also check if the black stuff is originating from the eyes???? If so, it may be blocked tear ducts??? just a thought.

We have also been giving our dogs carrots for a long time, about a tablespoon or 2 in their food and have not had any ill-effects. Frozen ones in the summer seem to go over well as an "outside treat" once in a while.

Also, about a year or so ago we started to feed our dogs a base diet of sweet potatoes (3/4 cup) and fish (1/4 cup) and their dry kibble (1/4 cup) twice a day. By base diet I mean that we add other stuff like liver, beef heart, and/or other foods on a rotating or random basis. This has cut down dramatically on the amount of annoying little things Bulldogs get and has seemed to help a lot with keeping their weight steady.
A former member
Post #: 4
I've been cleaning her face as usual and have been treating her with the zincofax for a couple of weeks and giving 1/3 cup of plain yogurt afterwards as a treat. Shes loves the yogurt and her face is starting to show significant improvements !!! Hundreds of dollars in vet bills / meds and all it took was yogurt and diaper cream.