Calgary & Area English Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Goodbye to Kiwi

Goodbye to Kiwi

A former member
Post #: 5
My sweet girl Kiwi was reunited with her "brother" Tucker tonight. Except for about a single 2 month stretch, she has been sick or on some type of medication for every possible ailment you can think of, and was in constant pain. Her brother (same birthday, different litter, same breeder) died at 9 months of age from a second bout of aspiration pneumonia only 6 weeks after his first incident. Kiwi was in constant pain and needed at lease 3 surgeries to correct only 2 conditions that plagued her, and none of them could correct the other issues she had. After consulting with our vet, we made the difficult to decision to end her suffering.
Without Petsecure, both of our dogs would have had even shorter lives. They have paid out over $16000 (yes thousand) worth of expenses, and we have spent over $6000 in doing everything we could to try and keep them well and get them the care they needed.
Our breeder was originally quite helpful when Tucker first began having issues, but as they grew more severe, and we were calling for more advice and suggestions, the contact ceased. No returned calls or emails, even after she heard he had passed. I honestly think she was worried we were going to try and collect on her health guarantee, so ignoring us until we went away was her best plan. All we wanted was her help.
After all the issues we've had with our 2 beloved dogs, all I can think of is how this beed is just bred to suffer for its entire life. Either that, or our dogs were so "over bred" that there was just no hope for them. Either way, its a sad ending to the journey that started the day we picked up our 2 little furry babies in Innisfail in October 2010.
Michelle W.
user 9160982
Nanaimo, BC
Post #: 18
aw Marc... I'm so very sorry for your loss... I remember so well how excited and thrilled you were to be getting your "kids" and I'm heartbroken that it has been such a tough road for Tucker, Kiwi, and of course your family.. they we lucky to have found such loving parents for the short time they were here and I know they are happy together across the bridge. The paw prints they left on your heart will be there forever... ((hugs and kisses))
Michelle, Mackie & Lucy
Dianna
user 12150995
Calgary, AB
Post #: 2
Awwe, so sorry to hear of you're loss of precious Kiwi :(
We remember those 2 little cuties from the first Halloween Meet-up they came to, they were So cute.

Sending you all luv and light to get you through the days.
And something comforting . . .

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly fallen snow
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain
I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
of beautiful birds in circling flight
I am in the star shine of the night
I am in the flowers that bloom,
I am in a quiet room
I am in the birds that sing,
I am in each lovely thing
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I'm not there I did not die.
A former member
Post #: 6
Thank you for the good wishes. My little brindle girl meant the world to me. What I want to know is, where did everyone else got their healthy Bulldogs from? I'd get another one in a heartbeat if I knew of a good source........
Dianna
user 12150995
Calgary, AB
Post #: 5
English Bulldogs are so unpredictable with the health issues :(

We got our "BOSS" from Iroq Bulldogs just outside of Edmonton and we have had a few smaller issues that 95% of these guys have. Overall he's been healthy(he's 2 and a half now)
The ladies name at Iroq is Kandie and she's a great lady, very knowledgable and came very highly recomended to us. She shows many of her English Bulldogs and they do very well.
They have a great website too.

Hope you guys are doing ok.

Michelle W.
user 9160982
Nanaimo, BC
Post #: 19
Marc, I got Mackie from the states a small breeder, 1 litter a year. don't know if she's still breeding or not. I have a friend here on the Island that breeds the same way. 1 litter a year raised by hand in the house and underfoot.. check them out at Diamondbulldogs.ca. Kelly is an amazing woman with beautiful dogs... there's even a webcam and a current litter you can peek at.. I watch them all the time !
A former member
Post #: 7
Thank you for the good wishes, it is very slowly getting better day by day. I'll look at both of those websites, and maybe start looking for a new furry baby :)
Michelle W.
user 9160982
Nanaimo, BC
Post #: 20
I went to visit Kelly and her puppies yesterday.. omg.... they are amazing...I'm in love witha lil guy named Moose... good thing I haven't the $$ for one right now. Kiwi and Tucker will always be with you in your hearts , both you and they were blessed to have met in this world....