Come learn about natural building and have fun while helping to plaster a beautiful ‘tiny’ straw bale building here in Ramona, CA.
Sat & Sun, June 8 & 9 , 9:30am - 3:30 pm
* To register, email or call [masked] or[masked] *
In this workshop, we will mix and apply the natural plaster that forms the skin of walls of the building. You will learn:
• why a plastered straw bale wall is a strong assembly
• why clay plaster is ideal for straw bale buildings
• how to identify and test clay soil
• what makes a good plaster and how to test mixes
• the basics of lath for straw bale buildings
• how to apply a base coat of plaster to a straw bale wall
• design considerations for straw bale buildings
This two-day workshop will be a mix of instruction and hands-on doing. There will be a maximum of 10 participants per workshop to ensure that everyone gets attention and room to work. No construction experience is required, just a desire to learn. Taught by licensed general contractors Rebecca Tasker & Mike Long of Simple Construct, a San Diego-based natural building company that has helped build seven straw bale homes in San Diego County. Women are encouraged to attend, anyone over 18 years old is welcome.
Cost: $150 per person for each two-day workshop ($100 non-refundable deposit required at the time of registration to secure a spot). Saturday only: $100 per person. Register soon – we don’t get to do these workshops often and expect them to fill up quickly!
For more information or to register, email or call: [masked],[masked]