Announcing a new event for San Diegans Who Care about the Environment!
What: Eco-Marathon: Volunteers Needed
When: Sunday, January 20, 5:00 AM
Where: (A location for this event hasn't been chosen yet)
Event Description: 2008 Carlsbad Marathon
"Litter Abatement Plan for Zero Litter Race?
hosted by Keep California BeautifulWhen:
Sunday, January 20thTimes:
Westfield Plaza Camino Real (more information once you are signed up)Background:
New guidelines regarding the prevention of pollutants in the storm drains of San Diego County go into effect on January 24, 2008. One of the main sources of anthropogenic (human-made) debris in urban runoff is litter including bags, cigarette butts, packaging and single-use disposable products from garbage transportation, landfills, construction debris, and debris from commercial establishments and public venues or events. The City of Carlsbad to meet requirements of the Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan permit is revising activities, control measures, and best management practices (BMPs).
Education is an important aspect of every effective urban runoff management program and the basis for changes in behavior at a societal level. The Carlsbad Marathon, occurring on January 20, 2008 will be the first special event to occur in the city limits which is required by the city to develop and implement a litter abatement plan. The litter abatement plan includes the following 5 components:
Volunteers are needed to help create a litter free event.
- Education campaign centered on the theme "Only Your Feet Hit the Ground"for runner/walkers and non racing participants.
- Increase availability of recycling and trash receptacles located along the course to make it easy for all to participate in the litter free event.
- Trash and recycling bags will be available for non race participants as needed for their use along the course and may be dropped off at any water-aid or recycling and trash station.
- Storm drains in close proximity to aid stations will have a temporary mesh covering placed over the drain to prevent litter and or debris from entering the storm drain.
- The event organizers will pick up the recyclables, trash and materials from the aid stations after the runners have completed the section of the course as a final litter prevention tactic.
If you are interested in being part in this event, please reply to this message with your full name, phone number and email address. I will then email you with the logistics of the event.
Each volunteer will receive a free t'shirt.
Start the New Year off right and do your part to help your community and the environment.
Learn more here:http://environment.meetup.com/301/calendar/7119114/