Erlang Users of Arlington/DC Message Board › e2 as a learning path

e2 as a learning path

A former member
Post #: 3
I've worked through a few OTP tutorials but never had a use case which compelled me to use it. The investment of time needed to implement an OTP application, seemed too much since erlang is not used at work. Today I tried the e2 framework and really loved it (possibly in the same way that food tastes better when you're hungry). The barrier between using sequential erlang in the shell and developing an application is significantly lower. To the point that I'll likely bundle up some of my modules into an app soon and feel that I could be happy with this framework for some time. The tutorial is well written.

Ram has proposed that e2 might be a bridge from introductory erlang to OTP. I agree. In fact it would seem that you could even take a simple subset of sequential erlang and a small number of libraries as the prerequisite to a number of real life use cases using e2 and maybe Chicago Boss, etc.... Many programmers may never want to go further. Others could.