add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

EXPOSED - A Photography Showcase Message Board › Photographer: Rob Mitchell, EXPOSED May 2010

Photographer: Rob Mitchell, EXPOSED May 2010

A former member
Post #: 6

Rob's square format portrait was one of my favorites from the May, Exposed meeting. The greenish tint that makes it look like an old, faded photo. There aren't any real blacks in this photo and that supports the old and faded feeling of it. Perfectly symmetrical composition in square format is bold and eye pleasing. The shoulders, the coat's collar and lapels, even his shirt and the necklace create repeating V shapes that add visual interest.

It is hard to read this young man's personality from his expressionless, straight face. Seems like he did not want to connect with the camera/photographer. All together the photo suggests that he is trying to hide behind dark shades and tough looks. To me, he is not that inaccessible though. I get a faint sense of invitation for connection, some sort of vulnerability. Maybe it is because of the red tint of the sunglasses. It makes him look like he suffered emotionally.

Whenever I make these kind of readings of photos, it makes me feel nervous. I ask myself, what if what I see is completely off. Maybe instead of the reality, I am actually reading into my own feelings, giving away my own vulnerability. That sounds more likely. Maybe this young man should answer back and clear the confusion :)

Thanks to Rob for contributing to our critique meetings and letting me publish his work here.