This is another in the series of weekday f/Stops photo excursions around the LA area. As always, it is designed to be an informal opportunity for photography as well as a chance to interact among our fellow photo enthusiasts.
If you have never been to the Getty Villa, you’re in for a treat. Besides being a reproduction of a 1st century Roman era villa, it’s a museum filled with antiquities.
The architecture, art collection and gardens are all great subject matter for photography. There’s plenty to shoot!
As is always the case with the Getty, there are a few catches:
1. You must call and reserve tickets for that day. Try to get a 10am entry. The tickets are free. I’ve been told that the December weekdays are pretty open right now. I just checked and the 10am time is available.
2. The museum ticket is free but parking is $15. Think about carpooling.
I can help a few f/Stops Photo Club members who might have trouble getting tickets for the right time. Try contacting the Getty 1st. If that doesn’t work out, send me an email.
Some more info for the Meet-Up:
1. Here is the web page Getty Villa http://www.getty.edu/visit/villa/
2. Reserve the tickets though the Getty website. Remember to click on the Getty Villa tab and not the Getty Center tab!
3. Anyone who has anytime tickets for the Getty can use them for this!
4. Let’s try to meet at the top of the amphitheater by 10:30. The path from the parking
garage leads to the amphitheater (which is in front of one of the museum entrances)
5. Note the driving directions. The only way to enter the Villa is going northbound on PCH.
If, like me, you are going south on PCH, you have to pass the Villa, turn up Sunset Blvd and turn around.
6. There are stairs and steps but the walking is generally level.
7. There is a café there if you want to stop for lunch.
8. Tripods and monopods are NOT allowed.
9. Any pros along for the day - No professional photography is allowed. If someone spots your serious looking camera and asks you if you are a professional, avoid a hassle and tell them it’s just your hobby. Don’t hand them your business card.
10. I’ll mention carpooling again. Split the cost of parking.
11. I’ll be coming from Woodland Hills. If anyone wants to meet there and carpool, I’ll be in the shopping center parking lot just south of the 101 at the Mulholland/Valley Circle exit at 9am. I’ll park near the McDonalds. Look for my orange Honda Element.